• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

3D printed CO2 diffuser

Jack12

saw 3D printer the other day molding away complicated plastic shapes. Its quite fascinating.

Anybody have idea in mind as to what would be an ideal design for the most efficient co2 diffuser which wouldn't slow down flow, have a near perfect CO2 disolve rate, quick and easy maintenace?

best position for such diffuser - attach it to inflow or outflow?

maybe a design that you can put inside one of the compartments in external filter for easy access and maintenance?

Anybody has CAD software experience?

Wouldn't it be cool if the diffuser could screw directly onto the filter outlet/inlet? I really don't trust the locking nuts on Up in-line atomisers.

I think it would be very difficult to make a standalone unit that can be put in an external filter as they have to be watertight.

One of the project engineers at work is making one. From what i've heard the resolution is not that great yet and would need final machining to be watertight. A few more years things should be much better.
I like your thinking, endless possibilities. You could use a fluval disc ceramic and modify a quick lock tap. Much harder to make one to be fitted into a filter, maybe a canister extension would be an option but its another potential leak.

Hey guys this is an interesting subject. I work as a rapid prototype technician and I have done for 8 years and it was just the other day that I was thinking this. I also have two home built 3d printers at home and access two 6 sla machines and two sls machines at work and as such 3d printing is my second hobby/career and any advice I am more than happy to help.
Andy

I'll fire a couple of questions at you Andy
What sort of tolerances can these printers work to?
Whas sort of surface finish can they produce?
If you printed a cup would it hold water?and smaller scale 12mm dia with a 1.5mm wall is that still watertight?
How strong are the printed components?
What things have you printed and what was the first item you printed?[DOUBLEPOST=1408726031][/DOUBLEPOST]Any pics?

Hello. My home printers can produce within +/- 0.1mm its not high tolerances but good enough for my uses.The ones I use at work are similar tolerance but better definition due to lasers as apposed to fdm extruder. Most prints have a good surface quality but as with any layered process build lines etc will be present but can easily be removed with sanding etc. I have printed several ornate vase's with a single wall thikness of 0.5mm and its still water tight and I see no reason that a 12mm dia and 1.5 mm wall would not be water tight. The components I print are made from PLA as its the easiest thermo plastic to use athough not good with heat it is very tough and as for strength it would all depend on how dense it was printed. Many different materials are available for example ABS and nylon making componenets comparable to injection moulding. My first print would have been calibration componenets cubes and 100mm crosses for fine tuning but after that it was a bust of yoda I think.
a6b52934b26d859627bb089d089adfb1.jpg

Collection of objects
I
8805a63e7c3748027e20856f44d05ab2.jpg

Ogre printed in sections
9075cecf9582b06d42a9f93be433e07d.jpg

Golem LOTR
1cd196643b8be12ebb75ac62137d1079.jpg

World Cup
3a520c6c7feb9795bba36448d1dc116e.jpg

His and hers owls
Just an exmlample oh things I have done.

This is fantastic work Andy. Would be awesome if u give it a try with the diffuser and share your experience with us! Maybe a very fine plastic mesh placed inside a cylinder shaped container attached to outlet will do a trick for a cheap effective, disposable diffuser?

Thanks jack12 .I will have to come up with a design and go from there :) your idea is similar to what i had in mind. If anyone else has ideas then feel free to add. A Larger collection of ideas will be a benefit :)
Thanks
Andy

I will take a look thanks :) i have not had much success with the diffuser but may be this is achievable! :)

You could make a holder for a fluval disc ceramic or maybe a body for the new up inline ceramic. I think you would need a much higher resolution to print a plastic diffuser but i think making improved cases/housings is possible but might need final machining to be watertight where components meet

I like your idea of making some new housing. I broke my inline diffuser only the other day. Z corp printers are pretty cool but the components i have seen are not that durable and would be not be water tight. They are great for visual models but not convinced on how good they would be as a working model. On the other hand my home 3D printer is not fantastic and i have only made a handfull of water tight parts for examply some vases and a 16mm to 13mm filter pipe reducer.im sure the diffuser can be achieved :)

I did think that about the z corp components usability, even more so when I saw them coat the model
The housing for the inline should be achievable but i think you will have to tap/cut the threads. remember these things run at 2-3bar pressure.
I'm not 100% convinced about the strength. Co2 attacks some rubbers and possibly plastics too. you wouldn't want it to explode and dump the contents of your tank all over the floor
However I am interested to see how you get on, any problems you may or may not encounter and to proved wrong on the strength factor.
Good luck

Hello mate. You almost certainly can help. Unfortunately i have recently moved home and have not set up my printer yet but I will with time. I have to use .stl only. Let me know what you come up with :)

cool! I just need to figure out how to export/convert into that format then.
Do I need add anything to my models for the printer to start from?
the potential for this is massive, reactor parts, inline diffuser cases etc.
the advantage of solidworks is I can change dimensions to suit the printing process in minutes, even assemble parts on screen and see how they will fit together and see potential problems before they happen

Back