• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Led Lighting

Michael Kelland

Seedling
Hi Guys

I was wondering if someone could help me

I have just acquired a TMC signature L60cm x W45cm x H30cm and want to use some nice LED lights It will be a planted tank with C02 injection.

I have been looking at the TMC aquaray Grobeam 1500 Ultima or Twin TMC GroBeam 600 ultima and getting the Aquaray lighting controller.

So my question is would a Single Grobeam 1500 tile be enough in this tank to grow most plants in this tank?
or would 2 of the GroBeam 600 strips be better?

I also like the look of the Classica Over Tank Luminaire LED http://www.arcadia-aquatic.com/classica-otl-led/ and was wondering if anyone has used one of these and how easy are they to program etc

or could anyone suggest anything else.

Thanks allot for any help
Kel

1 GroBeam strip will be enough. These LED's are super bright, you will need a controller to turn them down to around 20-30% (depending on the distance from the surface).

The only reason you might need another is to light up any darker patches caused by hard scape.

Hi Kel,

Funnily enough I have litterally bought a Signature by TMC 600x45x45 tank, with Twin TMC Aquaray Grobeam. Was trying to my homework and there seems to alot people who say they are having good success with this set up assuming you have enough CO2.

Was very tempted to go for the very new Ehiem powerLED Plants 20W but there wasn't any information about it except a recommendation from CHarterhouse Aquatics plus it didnt come with a new controller options.

I'm hoping to grow the infamous Hemianthus and other carpet plants. Can't really give you any help but all i can say is im about 1 step ahead of you with this set up.

Many Thanks
James[DOUBLEPOST=1408714039][/DOUBLEPOST]
1 GroBeam strip will be enough. These LED's are super bright, you will need a controller to turn them down to around 20-30% (depending on the distance from the surface).

The only reason you might need another is to light up any darker patches caused by hard scape.
Ah that's interesting, well i'll def have high hardscape (fossilized wood) so will need good spread, but looks like i'll need to dial down the output too then.

All these pictures of aquascapes with loads of light are maintained with A LOT less light. They simply add more light to the shot to make for a better picture.[DOUBLEPOST=1408715633][/DOUBLEPOST]One thing, if you're following the DSM (dry start method) the lights can be a lot brighter. If you start to see weird mouldy looking stuff, then it's time to turn the lights down. Start at 80% and see how it goes.

Last edited:
thanks allot guys.

I will order a 1500 Ultima and a controller and see how it goes.

I have never tried the Dry Start Method on my other tanks but I am going to try that this time around.

thanks again
Kel

What distance from substrate and at what intensity do you suggest one should start with? Talking about Grobeam 600...

What distance from substrate and at what intensity do you suggest one should start with? Talking about Grobeam 600...

I don't know how correct this is, but this is what I've learnt and it's working for me so far (I have next to no algae in my tank):

There is a sweet spot when it comes to lighting, getting to it depends on many factors; if you can change the height of the lights, if you can control the intensity of the lights, and how much hard scape is in the way are the immediate factors that come to mind.

You want the lights high enough so that that they cover the floor of the tank, but not bright enough that you grow algae. The brighter your lights are, the further away they have to be. The closer your lights are, the dimmer they will have to be.

You can leave your lights in a static position if you are able to control the intensity of the light. Start low then increase the intensity over a period of weeks until you start to see algae growth. Obviously all tanks have algae, it just depends on what you deem an 'acceptable amount'.

It's hard to explain but you'll get what I mean eventually... It's like if you shine a torch at a wall, the closer the torch is too the wall, the more intense the light is, but the size of the area the light covers is smaller. If you move the torch away from the wall, the area it covers becomes larger and the intensity goes down. You'll always have some amount of algae in your tank, you just have to find the point where 'not much' algae grows.

Start out at 15%, leave it for a couple of weeks, if there's any green stuff growing on your glass then you either need to turn the lights down or up your CO2.

I don't know how correct this is, but this is what I've learnt and it's working for me so far (I have next to no algae in my tank):

There is a sweet spot when it comes to lighting, getting to it depends on many factors; if you can change the height of the lights, if you can control the intensity of the lights, and how much hard scape is in the way are the immediate factors that come to mind.

You want the lights high enough so that that they cover the floor of the tank, but not bright enough that you grow algae. The brighter your lights are, the further away they have to be. The closer your lights are, the dimmer they will have to be.

You can leave your lights in a static position if you are able to control the intensity of the light. Start low then increase the intensity over a period of weeks until you start to see algae growth. Obviously all tanks have algae, it just depends on what you deem an 'acceptable amount'.

It's hard to explain but you'll get what I mean eventually... It's like if you shine a torch at a wall, the closer the torch is too the wall, the more intense the light is, but the size of the area the light covers is smaller. If you move the torch away from the wall, the area it covers becomes larger and the intensity goes down. You'll always have some amount of algae in your tank, you just have to find the point where 'not much' algae grows.

Start out at 15%, leave it for a couple of weeks, if there's any green stuff growing on your glass then you either need to turn the lights down or up your CO2.
Actually I understand you 100%

I have adjustable height and intensity for my grobeam 600...its set at 30% intensity and 55cm above substrate...how does that sound for a start?

Actually I understand you 100%

I have adjustable height and intensity for my grobeam 600...its set at 30% intensity and 55cm above substrate...how does that sound for a start?

Sounds like you are in the right place. Just watch your glass for any GDA/GSA. I rarely have to clean my glass, when I first started I was cleaning it every week! If BBA appears, means you need more CO2, nuke it with exel/easycarbo via syringe and it will disappear in a few days.

Back