• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low or high tech ? Hhhhmmmmmn

Deano3

Hi all we'll not had any time lately and been looking at reef for a while but so expensive so maybe in future and have all equipment for freshwater so giving it another shot big question is low or high tech ? I purchased 2 50cm tmc aquabars not long ago complete with adjusters so have a lot of light if low tech would be very low I guess, my problems seemed to bit little growth and melt so co2 problem with too much light even though only had one bar on low , my plants grew fine at first so think it was diffuser needed cleaning if I go high tech I will buy 2 and clean one while other on tank, here is a few ideas so far

a76d762ee6a6fd9cf3a5114bb257c027.jpg

143302a28537054d843de21c7b489e2f.jpg

b0575bec791a2c6f2b05c27c6e72d482.jpg

b7b1d3b7fc8ee906a26fbd5d637f4cdb.jpg

82b4e4c72dc74c3448cb6f3ef0953424.jpg

Any opinions welcome , think will look good with tall/medium plants on the left and some carpet on right, and a little open space to admire the fish, what's your thoughts etc

Thanks dean

well i think your over due a nice tank to look at deano, id suggest staying high tech (maybe just liquid carbon) with low light, get some nice easy plants like microsorum trident at the back, maybe apon. crispus red, anubias nana petite around the rocks, crypts either side of the rocks for interest and something easy like bacopa australis, hairgrass? or marsilea around the front.
Get the plants going, enjoy some livestock for a while then progress from there.
Nice harscape by the way, take out the lone rock as it doesnt really add to the scape and will only add to disrupting flow. A simple lily outlet in the back left corner should work well.

Marine is a head ache and huge expense so i wouldnt suggest it. Use what you have and make it work first before taking that leap.

Nice hardscape...Alternatively, you could just inject enough CO2 to turn the drop checker green (not lime green), keep the lighting relatively low and grow the "easy" plants Iain suggests. Its something I've been planning to do for some time now and I think it'll work well. It should give you a bit more wriggle room than your traditional high-energy tank, and be slightly lower maintenance...sorta hybrid energy.

Thanks guys thanks ian will remove the lone rock, I have little more manzi and some more rocks you thunj should out anything on right or just leave it blank ? Ok I will keep the co2 but have easy low light plabts also woukd love moss on the wood and will buy a couple of inline attomisers already have the old one you think would clean up well enough so can just buy one ?

And would you out lilly outlet on left back and inlet on left front ?

Thanks dean

Thats how I had it before as outlet looks cleaner at the front

One of my distant future tank will be a low tech marine tank with basically low bioload.

Having a low light high tech does have it's issues. Being high tech you really still need keep on top of the high maintenance routine without the "instant" gratification of really quick growth. I'm 4 months in and only started reducing the dosage or ferts and I'm still doing the weekly 50% water changes. The water changes might be cut back to a weekly at about 25% in the future but we will see.

Nice hardscape...Alternatively, you could just inject enough CO2 to turn the drop checker green (not lime green), keep the lighting relatively low and grow the "easy" plants Iain suggests. Its something I've been planning to do for some time now and I think it'll work well. It should give you a bit more wriggle room than your traditional high-energy tank, and be slightly lower maintenance...sorta hybrid energy.
Definitely do-able imo.It's basically what I did/am doing in my 70L.
Lower light T8's,bit of co2 + ferts,and 'easy' plants.Decent,steady growth.
Including a Lilaeopsis carpet.
When I went on holiday earlier in the year,turned the co2 off,shortened the lighting period.Tank's even easier now.
I'd add Bolbtis to the list.Once it takes off,it'd look great on/around that wood

Will make a list tomorro and get plants ordered on payday any other plant recomendations ? What moss on wood is easy etc ? Going to have co2 and lower light than before what opinions on my current attomiser would you clean dn just buy one or buy 2 new ones

Thanks dean

Back