• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Remove carbon or not?

Tomo

Hi
I am setting up a new tank, low tech no co2, low lighting, just want to know if I use some liquid such as profito or tropica a couple of times a week will I need to remove my activated carbon from the filter? because if it removes tannins medication etc, surely it would remove the liquid fertilisers? therefore feeding the plants would be pointless. Not sure which way to go, remove carbon or just rely on a good nutritious substrate. Only want to keep a Amazon sword and a few different crypts and maybe anubias and grass. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

well that stopped this thread dead ! so hear goes activated carbon seems to be frond upon in most threads i read unless you are using it to remove medications or some other reason but if you leave it in it will only last a short while and then become a suitable surface for colonization of bacteria if it was me i would just leave it be as im not aware that it removes ferts :) mind im not one of the experts :)

I love carbon in a new set up. I also love Purigen...
Yes! Lovely crystal clear water. Looks great even if you don't have optiwhite glass.[DOUBLEPOST=1408902333][/DOUBLEPOST]
so hear goes activated carbon seems to be frond upon in most threads i read

I think it depends on the forum. Here on 'the continent', some ADA-fans like to fill their filter with 90% activated carbon, at least for the first month or so, then they replace half of it with some other bio media.

Last edited:
I agree ^^^ if you go on general forums! they will advise you to take it out. We don't, we like carbon, it's the future.

Thanks for your replies think I will leave it in hoping it won't remove the liquid fertilisers no one seems to know for sure whether it does or not

Back