• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Priming an Eheim Pro 3

The method I use is the one stated in the manual for priming Eheim classic filters, which is almost the same as described by John. If the hoses already have water in them, then opening the taps will cause water to flood in through the intakes and air to escape through the outlet. If you have a Pro 3 with 2 intakes, then it gets messy. Too many times has it "preferred" one intake and completely not suck on the other intake, causing a drop in flow rate.

Probably the last Pro range I ever buy.

Peter

If you allow water to flow back into the filter via the outlet pipe it fills a section within the top tray - see attached picture

Picture056.jpg

if this sections become full of water whilst primming is a problem and you have encounted the problem.

Before priming the system lift up the outgoing water pipe so it above the water level then start priming, once the filter is full, switch the filter unit on - still with the out going water pipe above the water level, once the water starts to flow out of the out going pipe then ease it back into the tank water.

I do the above when primming my 2080 and since adopting this method - never had a problem since.

Regards
paul

I have 2 eheim filters the 2036 and the 2071 (2071 is the eheim 3 pro). Were the 2036 works perfectly i have the same issues after cleaning the 2071. The above could be my issue aswell. Thank you for sharing this im definately going to try this next time i clean the filter. Still the cheaper 2036 works much better imo. If i can find a cheap second hand JBL 1501 im probably going to replace the 2071. But who knows, maybe my problems are solved now.

One point to note is that if you reprime your filter when the water in the tank is lowered during a water change, you don't have to faff around with the location of your outlet pipe / spray bar since it's out of the water at that point.

Which taps do I need to make priming easier? Quick release or double taps?

Eheim quick release double taps :) It makes priming easier because you can keep some water in the tubing while you clean the canister. Then later open up the outlet taps first, then the inlet taps and water should start flooding in. The Pro's taps open them all at the same time which doesn't work.

Back