• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What/how much media for best flow and filtration?

Omegatron

Hi,

For a while now i'm using 2 filters, the Eheim Ecco 300 (2036) and the Eheim Profesionel 3 250 (2071)

The filtration at the moment is great but using a co2 reactor on 1 filter and an inline heater on the other reduces the flow a lot. I would like to achieve maximum flow with best filtration for my planted tank (like everyone else). Could you guys tell how to achieve this best with my setup? Do I replace media or leave a basket emtpy or less media in all baskets etc....? I know i can add powerheads but after reading about filter media and flow im beginning to think that im using too more media then needed.

The baskets are filled exactly as on these pictures:

The Ecco (attached to this filter is the Hydor inline heater):

eheimecco2036.jpg

Basket 1 (top basket): Floss and bio media
Basket 2 (middle basket): Bio media (i think?)
Basket 3 bottom basket): mechanical media

The Professional 3 250 (Ista Mix-Max Co2 reactor attached on outlet):

eheim2071.jpg

Basket 1 (top basket): Floss and bio media (replaced the eheim bio media with lava gravel)
Basket 2 bottom basket): mechanical media

Thanks for the help!

Sorry Omegatron, it's off- topic. But how do you find the Max Mix reactor? I'm thinking of getting one. Any problems?

Same here...only some pot scrubs, course and purigen...half empty. But I also use a pre-filter with some course in it, just to be able to keep the bigger peaces out and this one I can clean more often as it isn't used for bio filtering

Thanks for the feedback, pot scrubs and course? whats that? :)

So should i remove half of the media in each basket then (in each filter)?
Also, should i remove the mechanical media (bottom basket) and replace it with bio media? I thought i read somewhere that mechanical doesnt do that much and that some use only bio for planted tanks. Because if i do that, then i could remove the mechanical and replace it with 50% of the bio from the other basket.[DOUBLEPOST=1409065265][/DOUBLEPOST]
Sorry Omegatron, it's off- topic. But how do you find the Max Mix reactor? I'm thinking of getting one. Any problems?

Its great! no problems at all. Just clean it once in a while. can make noise when co2 is on but thats normal, when co2 is off its silent.

So it fits the 16/22 mm hosing of the Eheim filter then? Do you need to use the adapter to get it to fit the hose?

Ah ok. Just because I thought that if you use the adapters it reduces the flow through the filter significantly. And I don't want to do that.

For decent flow, take out the floss. IME it's the floss that really kills the flow as it soon gets really clogged up. Use a bag of Purigen (and/or a bag of activated carbon) and the water will still be nice and clear.

A few pot scrubbers instead of the black noodles.

Halve the amount of biomedia and keep the blue sponge.

P

For decent flow, take out the floss. IME it's the floss that really kills the flow as it soon gets really clogged up. Use a bag of Purigen (and/or a bag of activated carbon) and the water will still be nice and clear.

A few pot scrubbers instead of the black noodles.

Halve the amount of biomedia and keep the blue sponge.

P

Thanks for the advise i will take half of the bio media out. Should i not replace the mechanical media with the other half of the bio media then? Since its already used. I also have a bag of lava gravel left whats best? I dont have pot scrubbers haha.

I guess you could share the biomedia between the 2 trays. I don't think it will make a much of a difference. I just had a few pot scrubbers so I thought what the hell and now all the noodles are gone. So far I now have more flow and I haven't noticed any negative side effects.

I guess you could share the biomedia between the 2 trays. I don't think it will make a much of a difference. I just had a few pot scrubbers so I thought what the hell and now all the noodles are gone. So far I now have more flow and I haven't noticed any negative side effects.

Thanks! Im going to try it and hopfully get more flow now.

My filter outlet is on the left of the aquarium and the water flows out faster and further. This was immediately noticeable as I did this during a water change and the fish started to play much more in the front on the tank once it was filled up.

Did you remove the floss too?

Yeah, I replaced the floss too but it quickly clogs up so you have to clean it a lot. Too much hassle. Some folks attach some to their inlet instead so then they can just pull it out and clean it easily.

Back