• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Flow around heavily hardscaped tanks

Henry

Hi guys,

Just wondering how you manage to get good flow around tanks with a large amount of hardscape? I'm currently working on a 'scape with a lot of wood and banked substrate and I'm concerned with getting water around it effectively.

Here's what I'm working with:

DSC_0445_zpslgt7cual.jpg

DSC_0447_zpslu25fseo.jpg

To get flow to the stems behind the wood on the right, I'll need to have the outlet directed round the back of it. Won't this prevent decent flow to the plants in front? How do others overcome this sort of thing? I hope I'm not being too neurotic, I'm just wanting to cover all bases.

Fankoo.

A spraybar along the back will cause quite a lot of lift in the water below the jets so the area behind will have some movement. If it's not enough then a powerhead on the lhs firing behind will help.

To be honest tank looks small enough for just the spraybar to work unless it's unbelievably heavily planted

A lilypipe on the right should do. Maybe move the whole thing a couple of inches slightly to the left so the rightmost rock doesn't touch the glass and blocks the flow.

How big is the tank?

It's a 16"x8"x8", not sure what that is in French. I think it works out around the 15 litre mark. It's going to have an Eheim 2213 plumbed in which may seem like overkill, but I've not had a single successful tank yet; always suffered diatoms :(

Thanks for the thumbs up on the hardscape. I've been obsessing over different layouts for weeks and it's always nice to have an outside critique.

So outlet front right, inlet back left, or have both on the same corner so the "circuit" is complete?

That's a teeny tiny 40x20x20 16L ish

The 2213 will produce plenty of flow. To lower the 'clutter' in such a small tank I'd put in/outlet in the same place - going by the hardscape I'd go back right

Back