• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What/how much media for best flow and filtration?

Well I'm not saying the difference will be night and day but for me it is noticeable. :) Maybe give it some time for air to dissipate. Move the filter gently from side to side to help the air out.

Even if you don't see it, less media does mean less friction so the flow must increase.

I'll give it a try. Now i have only 2 basket half full with lava gravel that i use as biomedia, will it be enough for filtration and bacterial colonies?

Also i found 2 uses bags of purigen in my cabinet. Its been lying there for a year i think. Can i still use it? Will it sill work that is?

Thanks for all the help, much appriciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85af_zpsb87e69ea.jpg
pot scrubs
15410AD46012_4_zpsd92de2c9.jpg
course filter media
This (and purigen) is all I got in my filters...bacteria don't care how your filter media looks, they will grow happy on any media.
No floss at all, not even in the pre-filters as they only have course to keep the bigger pieces out of my filters.

Last edited:
Each one is a separate unit. They pack in well and have great flow

The OP must have some other severe restriction in the circuit if no flow throughput difference is observed when removing the filter media, possibly a kinked tube or some other item that has reduced the effective internal diameter of the either the inlet or outlet tubing.

Cheers,

Each one is a separate unit. They pack in well and have great flow

Your talking about those pot scrubbers yeah? If so i think i can fit in 2 in a basket maybe 3.

Need to figure out how they call these things in dutch en were to buy them lol.[DOUBLEPOST=1409125227][/DOUBLEPOST]
The OP must have some other severe restriction in the circuit if no flow throughput difference is observed when removing the filter media, possibly a kinked tube or some other item that has reduced the effective internal diameter of the either the inlet or outlet tubing.

Cheers,

I do, im using a reactor on the filter with 12/16 mm tubing instead of 16/22. So i know that reduces flow but i was hoping that with removing some media it would give me some more flow. but instead it stays the same. reason for different tubing is because my acrylic lilypipes dont come in 16/22.

Bacteria really don't care. Lego men will work. The round pot scrubbers are so cheap and allow great flow. I use them 2/3 fill in my classic 600

Well that reduces your flow by approximately 45%. Very difficult to recover from that, no matter how much media you remove.

Cheers,

When you remove that reactor, your plants will have a blast! ;)

P

I knew when i would use a reactor and different tubing that flow would be reduced but i was trying to achieve maximimum circulation with these things in mind. Im going to try different media (pot scrubbers) and hopfully gat a bit more flow.

Thanks for the help!

Back