• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120cm flow

ADA

Hi guys, in the middle of planning my 120x45x45 and I have an eheim pro3e and a jbl1501 the tank is 240L and the filters total 3300lph I'm using glass Lily's, everyone think this is enough flow? Will be using 4 x 54w t5 but more than likely use 2 x 54w, might chuck the other 2 on for a couple of hours a day but we'll see.

Thanks guys, curious tho, why would higher lighting give me algae? I thought imbalances cause algae and most imbalances are not enough fert, flow or co2? I thought higher light just narrows the margin for error? Seen some great scapes in tanks this size using 6 x 54w?

Tbh I think I will use 4 tubes for say couple hours a day maybe, the reason I like the option is I've struggled with pinnatifida acclimatising in lower light to submerged growth is all, so might use it for short while at the beginning then drop down as only effect it will have dropping the lighting after first couple if weeks is higher co2 and fert levels which is never a bad thing :).

High light in the beginning is asking for trouble. The plants aren't ready to compete against algae which are much faster to adept to new situations and they love the high light. Start with 6 hr per day 2 tubes and adjust slowly, plants don't really need so much light to grow as they usually come from shady places.

Your plants would of been suffering from a lack of c02 not light
@
Tbh I think I will use 4 tubes for say couple hours a day maybe, the reason I like the option is I've struggled with pinnatifida acclimatising in lower light to submerged growth is all, so might use it for short while at the beginning then drop down as only effect it will have dropping the lighting after first couple if weeks is higher co2 and fert levels which is never a bad thing :).
But it is a free world so go ahead with 4 x T5s, I guess you have a plan for matching co2 to that amount of light?

Like Martin I'd start off very cautiously, with just two tubes and a 6 hr photoperiod. Once the tank has become established and you've got good growth and plant biomass you could bring the other two tubes in for a mid afternoon blast.
However, the bottom line...even with good flow and CO2 distribution excessive light will cause algae. But at the end of the day the best lessons are learnt from personal experience.

The more light the the higher the uptake need for Co2 and ferts which means faster growth which is great if you want to fill the tank within a few months but you will be able to grow with the two tubes a long as you have the right co2 and ferts personally I have succeed with more lights and more co2, most common issues are co2 related and it's the most unforgiving if got wrong. Good luck with the tank

Back