• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Looking good, thanks very much for the pictures of the light set up! I'm pretty sure I will go with the same but a single tile and mount the rails to the side of the cabinet rather than the back so I don't see the rails out the back. Not sure what I am doing in the way of a background yet, but don't think I want black, at least not all the time, maybe something I can swap out for pictures.

Looking forward to seeing this progress :)

Oh I forgot to mention, the cable attaching the rail to the hanging bit isn't iquatics, Alastair kindly sent that with the tiles. I'll take a pic of the supplied cable from iquatics tomorrow and post on here so you see what you get out of the box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sod it I'm going to give it a go. I'm never one to shy away from a challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good, thanks very much for the pictures of the light set up! I'm pretty sure I will go with the same but a single tile and mount the rails to the side of the cabinet rather than the back so I don't see the rails out the back. Not sure what I am doing in the way of a background yet, but don't think I want black, at least not all the time, maybe something I can swap out for pictures.

Looking forward to seeing this progress :)

Morning Wisey,
these are the cables supplied with the iquatics rail. you get one set as standard and the other they threw in the box free of charge when i told them i was using the rail to attach to a TMC rail and tiles. in not sure which set is the standard and which is the thrown in set. the attachment nut thingy is different in each set.
im not sure exactly how you are supposed to attach them as to be honest the ones alastair sent were easier to work with so just used those. they are on a piece of A4 for scale
IMG_0173.jpg

in the light of day and after thinking about it further I'm on the fence again. I am willing to give it a go but I've read a few articles on growing UG this morning and it seems the following are the issues -

- doesnt like nutrient rich substrate
- doesnt like nutrient rich water
- sensitive to ammonia
- doesnt like hard water

i have all of those at the moment, the only thing to change will be ammonia in a couple of weeks.

so im thinking a challenge is good but attempting the impossible is a total waste of time and effort..

any thoughts anyone?? have you lot found the above to be true?

in the light of day and after thinking about it further I'm on the fence again. I am willing to give it a go but I've read a few articles on growing UG this morning and it seems the following are the issues -

- sensitive to ammonia
- doesnt like hard water

i have all of those at the moment, the only thing to change will be ammonia in a couple of weeks.

so im thinking a challenge is good but attempting the impossible is a total waste of time and effort..

any thoughts anyone?? have you lot found the above to be true?
I've tried it twice, failed twice melted in days high tech, hung in there for about a month low tech, it seems very fussy and I would agree with the points you listed above.

ok thats decided then ill go with something else.

thanks ian for the tip, its not that i didnt trust your judgement but i was thinking is it worth a go to try and break the run of failure. i would still like to try it out but maybe in a spare tank later on. this one really needs to work so no point setting myself up for failure with so many negative factors against me.

mini hairgrass looks ok, i suppose thats the closest alternative to UG.

Hi all
I am willing to give it a go but I've read a few articles on growing UG this morning and it seems the following are the issues -
- sensitive to ammonia
- doesnt like hard water
It isn't really an aquatic plant:
Ugraminifolia.jpg

Have a look here: <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/utricularia-graminifolia.11289/>.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel, i have read that, i think i might try it next scape with more submerged hardscape so i can plant it emmersed.

ive just ordered the tissue culture plants,

- HC x 5
- Elocharis Mini x 6
- Alternathere reineckii mini x 2

should arrive tuesday, so next update will be more interesting hopefully.

oh and a disaster narrowly avoided this morning.......

IMG_0175.jpg

totally forgot i was in the middle of filling up the tank and got distracted. talk about perfect timing.. didnt spill a drop!
also my concrete floor is wonky!

Hmmm, yeah, the iquatics cables look a bit, well.... crap! Also looks pretty short. The one you are using looks like the AquaRay one which is 40 quid! Thanks for the update though, very useful, will have to have a think.

Good skills on the tank fill up :)

Hi All,

Well I'm finally at the point of planting the tank. Let's just say it's been a busy day in the office, but not the kind of work we usually do! I did the planting and my colleague Calum kindly brought in his DSLR to take some stills.

Plants arrived from Aquaessentials in good condition. I ordered the following

4 x Hortilab Hemianthus callitrichoides
6 x Eleocharis 'mini'
2 x tropica Alternanthera reineckii 'mini'

It may seem a bit overkill but as I had my GoPro in the office I thought I'd make a planting video. I won't waffle on, the pictures can do the talking...

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0136.jpg

DSC_0146.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

DSC_0160.jpg

DSC00359.jpg

DSC00358.jpg

CO2 seems to be up to the right level, lights set to 6 hour photo-period with co2 on 2 hours before lights on and off 1 hour before lights out.
I'm using Amazonia (normal and powder) with regards to EI ferts if I've read various posts correctly i don't need to fertilise until week 3. is this correct? when to start EI is the only thing I'm unsure of (at present!)

I'm having issues uploading the video. Bear with me I will put that up tomorrow hopefully..

I like this a lot already, can't wait to see how it grows in...

Thanks Darrel, i have read that, i think i might try it next scape with more submerged hardscape so i can plant it emmersed.

ive just ordered the tissue culture plants,

- HC x 5
- Elocharis Mini x 6
- Alternathere reineckii mini x 2

should arrive tuesday, so next update will be more interesting hopefully.

oh and a disaster narrowly avoided this morning.......

IMG_0175.jpg

totally forgot i was in the middle of filling up the tank and got distracted. talk about perfect timing.. didnt spill a drop!
also my concrete floor is wonky!

Hahaha we've all done it mate only some of us weren't so lucky...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO VERY CLOSE shave there glad u got there in time, nice looking layout will be watching this one

thanks for the comments guys.

here's the video... (change settings to HD 1080P or its blurry)

Back