• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

External filter noise levels

Jake101

Hi,

I am going to buy an external filter (1000 - 1200 l/h), but the aquarium is in the same room where I sleep. Although I am not super easily disturbed by small noises, I would naturally like it to be, apart from being a good filter otherwise, as silent as possible. I would like to hear your recommendations and experiences.

The models I have been pondering over:
Tetratec EX 1200
Eheim Classic 2217
Fluval 306

Thanks.

Hi
I've got a TT EX1200, it's a decent enough filter imo.
After 5 years or so,it does have a faint hum,however it's in a Juwel cabinet which aren't enclosed,there's a gap at the back.Maybe that's why I even notice it.
Wouldn't keep me awake if it was in a bedroom.

I have an Aquamanta efx1000u from Maidenhead Aquatics in my room currently not in a cabinet and I sleep fine, but I am very used to it. At one time it became very loud and rattled but I replaced the impeller and now it is fine. I know it isn't one of the ones you mentioned but as a fairly unknown/untested brand I think its alright so most likely any of those filters will be better.
Something else to consider are the jbl filters i've just bought two e1501s after I received a large number of recommendations here on ukaps. They are yet to arrive though.

Back