• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

pH profile during start-up

Hi Folks,

It turns out that the Red Sea alkalinity test kit is NOT suitable for freshwater use. Despite being called a KH/alkalinity test kit, I received an email this morning from Red Sea saying that the result it produces is actually a reading of KH + GH. Very misleading.

JPC

I seem to be stuck between a rock and hard place with this aquarium.

On the one hand, the crypts seem to be recovering with a few new leaves appearing. On the other hand even some of the Java Fern is melting now and some of the new Marsilea growth as well.

If I increase the working pressure and open the needle valve fully, I can maybe get a drop of about 1 pH unit in a few hours. The problem is so much CO2 is wasted as the bubbles are quite big and leave the diffuser with such force that they break the surface.

A lot of bubbles go in the filter which is what I wanted. However, the filter soon starts to become really noisy and burp. CO2 bubbles also collect under the spray bar... However, if I reduce the working pressure/bubble count, the pH won't reduce enough.

I'm gonna try another pH profile tomorrow and I've ordered a bazooka diffuser which might help things.

The only positive is that I've got no algae yet.... despite the sick plants and ammonia there must be in there.

P

I'm gonna try another pH profile tomorrow and I've ordered a bazooka diffuser which might help things.P
Hi P,

My experience with the CO2Art Bazooka diffuser is very positive. The bubbles it produces are so small that it looks like a mist. It even bears some resemblance to smoke rising from it. I would estimate the bubbles to be 0.1mm diameter. I find that, at this size, they get blown around the tank and only a small proportion make it to the surface. Mine is the 55mm version and the water column is 110 litres. My regulator operating pressure is set to 2.0 bar.

JPC

Hi again.

My current pH profile (I've checked this several weekends in a row).
KH = 5, Drop checker = always yellow
I've also reduced the light intensity by 50% and given the filter a good clean.

09:00---6.92 (CO2 ON)
10:00---5.88
11:00---5.72
12:00---5.65 (Lights ON)
13:00---5.65
14:00---5.65
15:00---5.65
16:00---5.65 (CO2 OFF)
17:00---5.80
18:00---6.04 (Lights OFF)
19:00---6.29
20:00---6.42
21:00---6.51
22:00---6.60
23:00---6.73
00:00---6.80

Plants which have melted during the past month: -
Mini Java fern
Eleocharis montevideo
Limnobium spongia
(this can't be CO2 related as it's a floating plant!)
Hemianthus glomeratus (it seems this genus plus Micranthemum are allergic to this tank!)

Plants which I have added (and have survived): -
Cuttings of Bacopa caroliniana from my other aquarium
Ludwigia repens (bought submersed)

The Rotala macrandra Short Narrow Leaf is also starting to come back from the dead.

This aquarium is just about killing any enjoyment I have from this hobby. I have one other somewhat successful aquarium which I am now too afraid to re-scape and spend any more money on.

P

Back