• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tree losing bark in france

Lindy

My mum has a tree in her garden in france that is losing its bark. The garden centre said they thought it was a spanish tree but that was all they could say. Can anyone identify the tree and whether this is normal for this tree or a response to some disease or parasite?
4c3c1a8d29b4d04a3603966f2d1a4886.jpg

70769d491900a102fef1cad9680e4854.jpg

54d35643e63515f1be3a26271827e4b9.jpg

60117f1c4c973acd83a9588b012f94c6.jpg

Thanks for looking...

Hi all,
Not sure at all what the tree is, I don't recognize the fruit at all.

Normally when the bark dies on the lower trunk the tree has had it, but in this case because its leaves looks quite healthy, and assuming the lower picture shows new bark? below the old bark? I don't think it is anything to worry about.

cheers Darrel

Hi, I work in the nursery business and I don't recognise it either. I would agree that because it's leaves look so healthy there's nothing to worry about.[DOUBLEPOST=1408997712][/DOUBLEPOST]Just googled a hunch and I think it is a cork tree so the bark peeling is natural. Tell your mum to sell the bark to her nearest vineyard! ;)

Hi all,
The leaves and fruit look similar to that of a Ficus.
It does look like a Fig (Ficus), but the fruit is bilateral, and all Figs have a really strange fruit called a "syconium", and that doesn't have bilateral symmetry.
Just googled a hunch and I think it is a cork tree so the bark peeling is natural.
No it isn't a cork oak (Quercus suber) either, again wrong fruit. It looks like it must have quite a large single flower, but I just can't think of anything suitable.

cheers Darrel

It does look like a Fig (Ficus), but the fruit is bilateral, and all Figs have a really strange fruit called a "syconium", and that doesn't have bilateral symmetry.
Mum has a couple of fig trees and I stuff myself every august/sept on them. Not too many though or :eek:

No it isn't a cork oak (Quercus suber) either, again wrong fruit. It looks like it must have quite a large single flower, but I just can't think of anything suitable.

Sorry Darrel, didn't see this post. I was confused when I looked at cork trees as the fruit is different. I don't know what the flowers look like and mum had never noticed fruit on it before and only 'saw' them when I pointed them out :rolleyes:

Back