• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Messing about with an Arcadia Arc (The conclusion)

That's very cool, the rocks blend really well with the background. I like the background algae - looks very natural lol

I agree background looks fine with green algae on, very natural. Mine just got covered in yucky brown slime lol.

I think tank looks excellent by the way ;)

I agree background looks fine with green algae on, very natural. Mine just got covered in yucky brown slime lol.

I think tank looks excellent by the way ;)

Thanks Rob

I'm just hoping that the algae doesn't take hold and start over running the tank.

A small update I'm just adding a few fish and going do some pruning so can get a denser cover.

Regards Jonny

So i should first say i had to wreck my bedroom layout to get these 2 photos (and about 300 others) i let lot decide if it was worth it.

14074428057_2bdc547004_b.jpgUntitled by Fishkeeper Journal, on Flickr

No words needed

14260548334_d7df7023bc_b.jpgUntitled by Fishkeeper Journal, on Flickr

Although a terrible photo I thought I should add it because I love how they spare off against each other.

14074365927_2cf1a390d2_b.jpgUntitled by Fishkeeper Journal, on Flickr

I can see some more room wrecking to get Macro shots in the near future.

This month has been one problem after another which has resulted in a little neglect.

First day after my macro shots taken, my CO2 regulator failed dumping 80% of my 500gram co2 bottle completely emptying it in the space of 8 hours during the day. Wiping every single shrimp and fish out leaving only my assassin snail to survive. I have not been so sick to my stomach in fish keeping for a long time!! So then i was out of CO2 for a week whist i get my regulator sent away to be tested and to get my co2 bottle refilled. the algae got a good hold so i bought some new shrimp and after 2 days i had a pH crash, what ever buffer capacity I had in my tank had completely gone wiping out the shrimps again. Now armed with a little more enthusiasm i have got CO2 under control, pH stabilised, shrimps and fish back looking very healthy. although the algae has creeped back again.

The positives from this month are, I've learned a lot from my mistakes, I have a new plant ammonia bonsai and I have had some good plant growth albeit slow for this month.

My goal for next month is getting on top of my algae, and practice my pruning techniques (achievable goals i believe)

Here is a latest photo (although the tank is not in its prime)
14475972755_b4662b4094_b.jpgIMG_9058 by Fishkeeper Journal, on Flickr

Regards

Jonny

Looking good, in hindsight i think i would have prefered the stones to go to the corner so you woudn't see the height of the substrate, then again my hindsight is 20/20;)

I totally agree!!! it is approving difficult to clean the glass right at the front as well.

So its now 12 weeks since my last update. and my tank is looking like a jungle, very chaotic!!!
14541162357_a3cc9cee96_o.jpgIMG_9716 by Fishkeeper Journal, on Flickr

I now have a little emersed growth

14727315292_567bfc2f64_o.jpgIMG_9720 by Fishkeeper Journal, on Flickr

so I'm very pleased with my overall look

14540973859_28cfd1a6a3_o.jpgIMG_9724 by Fishkeeper Journal, on Flickr

and considering some algae eating fish. Any ideas??

I should note I'm going to do another pruning sessions but i thought id share my plant mess first.

Comments welcome.

Reagrds Jonny

You'd be better off with amano shrimp, they eat alot of algae! Sae get big and ottos are better kept in larger tanks in groups. Amano are serious algae eaters. Maybe you should reduce your light to reduce algae too?

Agreed, no SAE, they get to big for this tank. Some amano shrimp sounds better. Do you have a controler for your tile?

I was thinking more along the lines of blue neon river goby Stiphodon atropurpureus relatively small. and can cope on the slightly cooler side.

Unfortunately i haven't gotten round to getting the controller for the tile.

You'd be better off with amano shrimp, they eat alot of algae! Sae get big and ottos are better kept in larger tanks in groups. Amano are serious algae eaters. Maybe you should reduce your light to reduce algae too?

Yer agree reduce levels of light is probably better.

Thanks for the comments ill take them into consideration.

Regards Jonny

Stiphodon prefer some flow, see the quote from Seriously fish;"The most favourable habitats all contain very clear, well-oxygenated water which, allied with the tropical sun, facilitates the development of a rich biofilm carpeting submerged surfaces."
I have some in my white cube, but there is some flow there.

A quick update. I'm about to go off on holiday for a few weeks and have the nervous task of leaving it in the hand of someone else. My flat mate although be home has never kept fish and struggles with his only house plant. So I'm getting my work college to look after it although she's never kept a planted tank she looks after her tanks better than most people. Is there any advice i can give her to at least settle her nerves (i think she's more nervous than me, bless). is there anything i can do before i leave to help her?

I have reduced the lights to 6hrs and there is currently no CO2 going into the tank.

Heres a photo taken just now for reference.

14683090588_cbf4d75927_h.jpgUntitled by Fishkeeper Journal, on Flickr

And comments and criticism welcome

Regards Jonny

I would reduce the light intensity as well if you have switched off the co2. Either switch off one bulb or obscure it with some thing or you may come back to an algae fest.

Hi All

Just got back from my 3 weeks away and was eager to see how my tank look. i have to say I'm surprised by the lack of algae i can tell my friend took great care of it while I'm away. the biggest difference is the size of the female rainbows they have grown to the size of the males almost.

here is a photo of how it looks now after 3 weeks of minimal maintenance.
14933944658_d093fcd29a_h.jpgUntitled by Fishkeeper Journal, on Flickr

14933940497_755a09d437_h.jpgUntitled by Fishkeeper Journal, on Flickr.

I'm thinking of hacking all the plants back and growing them afresh. Not sure this is the best idea but I'm interested in hearing peoples thoughts.

Regards Jonny

Hi all,
i have to say I'm surprised by the lack of algae i can tell my friend took great care of it while I'm away
I think this is because the tank is established and "grown in" and has a large plant mass, "good things come to those who wait".

I use whatever lights I have to hand on a 12 hour day, but just let the plant mass grow until it reaches a stable level.

The tanks are all low tech. and I haven't added any fertiliser to the tanks at home, or in the lab. for over a year and they have all remained largely algae free.

The reason I haven't added any fertiliser is that using the <"Duckweed Index"> they haven't arrived at a point where the colour, or growth, of the floating plants have triggered it.

This is a "cr*p" photo, but it sort of illustrates the point. Other than the Anubias, the emergent from both tanks is Hygrophila corymbosa. Window is N. facing and the backs of the tanks are covered.

lid_up_off_zpsf18595e8.jpg

cheers Darrel

After a long time since last post i have decided it is time to end this journal as the tank has been stripped down.

The best i could get for me was this. It didn't get better from this point.
So its now 12 weeks since my last update. and my tank is looking like a jungle, very chaotic!!!
[URL='https://flic.kr/p/o9XfXP']14541162357_a3cc9cee96_o.jpgIMG_9716
by Fishkeeper Journal, on Flickr

14540973859_28cfd1a6a3_o.jpgIMG_9724 by Fishkeeper Journal, on Flickr

Reagrds Jonny
[/URL]
Things I've have learnt from this tank are as follows

1. 3d back grounds are great for hiding equipment, but limit you in aqua escaping ideas. I think ill put these to rest for the time being.
2. The wall should have been longer and ended at the side so you do not see the substrate at the front. Edvert has perfect 20/20 hind sight thats for sure.
3. should have used fewer plant species one for foreground, moss for the wall and one for back ground
4. invest in a wire brush for scrubbing off algae on the rocks. Normal tooth brush doesn't quite cut it.

To conclude i don't think this was ever going to win any form of contest but i have certainly enjoyed getting back into aquascaping. And enjoy this little scape.

I hope people have enjoyed reading this.

Now for my next tank...............

Regards Jonny

Back