• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is my plan ok?

Kam Sandhu

Hi All

Just wanted some advice.

So next Sunday (14th) is the day I plan to make my tank look better.

I have a plan and just wanted your opinions.

1. Put current fish in a bucket with fish tank water. (Will the be ok in here for a few hours?)
2. Put filter in a separate bucket with fish tank water.
3. Drain remaining water and remove gravel and décor.
4. Lay down new substrate.
5. Add wood, plants, gravel etc.
6. Fill up with dechlorinated water.
7. Add filter.
8. Let it run till water is at right temp.
9. Add fish.

Does this sound ok? Will my fish be ok in the bucket?

Also, I still need to order my plants, if they arrive next Friday, how do I store them?

Last thing I want is my fish to suffer.

That's more or less what I'd do, I think I would try to re-use a decent amount of the old tank water although I'm not sure how much difference it'll make. One important thing though.... what substrate are you using? an inert one should be ok but new aquasoil might cause you some problems.

That's more or less what I'd do, I think I would try to re-use a decent amount of the old tank water although I'm not sure how much difference it'll make. One important thing though.... what substrate are you using? an inert one should be ok but new aquasoil might cause you some problems.

I didn't think using tank water would have any benefit. There is no bacteria in it.

As for substrate, I was going to go with eco complete.

As I said I don't know if it would make much difference, to my mind it might lessen the shock for the fish but I might be wrong.

As for substrate, I was going to go with eco complete.

I haven't used that, I'd just check if it will alter your water parameters in any way first.

Cheers

James

A lid on the bucket to prevent jumping, and an air stone (particularly if it's hot), and some plants in it will reduce stress for the fish :)

I would save 50% of the old water then it will just be like a prolonged 50% waterchange.
It may not contain bacteria but as already said it will be less of a shock.

You can put a bit of old substrate under the new stuff or even squeesh the filter sponge on a layer of new stuff then cap to get the new substrate seeded. Resit cleaning to much of the glass as there's bacteria there. However if you Plant heavy off the bat and you should be fine. I've done this twice in a very heavy stocked tank.

Enjoy the new tank.

Thank you all for the tips, I do plan on planting heavy from the go. Everything I have read suggests to go heavy.

I have one concern and any tips would be great.

What is the best way to catch my fish for removal?

This is causing me some concern, I do not want to stress them to much, and the thought of seeing them flap around in a net makes me sad (even though it's for a few seconds).

Do you need to remove the substrate? If you're planning on EI dosging you could get away with not taking out the substrate at all.

The way I did it was take everything out of the tank that the fish can hide behind because they will hide behind stuff as you start to take them out of the tank. I also lower the water about half way then used a net and even then it took about an hour to catch all my fish and make sure none were left hiding. You could be amazed how good barbs can hide on a sand bottom tank. Make sure you have some stuff for the fish to hide behind in the temperay home and if possible a lid. This will keep them nice and calm after moving them.

Do you need to remove the substrate? If you're planning on EI dosging you could get away with not taking out the substrate at all.

The way I did it was take everything out of the tank that the fish can hide behind because they will hide behind stuff as you start to take them out of the tank. I also lower the water about half way then used a net and even then it took about an hour to catch all my fish and make sure none were left hiding. You could be amazed how good barbs can hide on a sand bottom tank. Make sure you have some stuff for the fish to hide behind in the temperay home and if possible a lid. This will keep them nice and calm after moving them.

Hi, I do have to take out the substrate as it is just normal gravel.

Another question has popped in to mind, I am going to order my plants from The Green Machine. As I don't plant on re-scaping until Sunday, how can I store the plants. I will get try to get delivery for Friday or Saturday.

I plan on creating a carpet with Eleocharis sp. 'mini', how on earth do I work out how many pots to buy?

Catching the fish will be the most fun.

In my experience a few weeks ago I removed all of the hardscape and plants, allowed the dust to settle then used 2 small nets to catch the neons and harlequins, you can corner the fish and encourage them to swim into 1 of the nets.

I had to lower the water level to just above the height of the nets otherwise the fish just escape over the top of the nets.

Plants were kept for a day in old ice cream tubs and I only used treated tap water, didnt save any tank water.

1 other tip to remove the substrate would be to buy either a purpose made gravel scoop or fashion one from a cut away ice cream tub, you will need to put a few holes in the bottom for the water to drain out.

P.s I really dont eat that much ice cream.

Back