• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Melanotaenia praecox Male/Females

EnderUK

Hi folks I need a little bit of help. I always thought that I had 3 males and 3 female dwarf rainbowfish but am now starting to doubt it. I've seen males with their bright red fins but mine don't have that. Mine just have a red ting to the edges of the dorsal and caudal fins but not fully developed. None of them have that fat back to them either. I'm now pretty sure that they are all females but would like that confirmed.

Here's some photos.

DSC_0062_zps66ea2902.jpg

possible male with the red ting

DSC_0029_zpse017b258.jpg

two females

DSC_0037_zps07314afe.jpg

DSC_0060_zps9e2d58b3.jpg

Possible Male. The lower blurred rainbow probably has the biggest back.

These guys really don't like standing still to get their photos taken so these are the best I could take quickly.

Feeding is once a day with New life Spectrum Thera +A then some frozen food once a week. So good stuff but not fresh food.

Cheers folks.

Yeah I thought so, though they are still really colourful and do spar every so often which is fun to watch. Shame I really don't have any more room in the tank for some males.
Yes they are great fish, one of my favourite - look great in a planted tank too when they mature :thumbup:

Back