• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

new tank question

Lindy

I have a brand new tank I'd like to move my betta channoides in to. They don't have substrate but have leaf litter and wood. Can I just move them, their filter, water, leaves and wood to the new tank and put them straight in?

Thanks

I'd give it a good rinse and a wipe just to be sure. Might be worth filling it with tap water to check for leaks then draining it just for peace of mind.

I would use Mircobe Lift Special Blend or something similar to ease the transition and to enhance the bacteria cycling..

The more stuff you use from the old tank the more bacteria you transfer, so no worries there.
I would just fill m with tap water for 24 hours, a) leakchecking, b) rinse out anything that can be rinsed out, c) let the whole installation "set itself" with the weight. After that drain all and start with the new inhabitants

yes, but I would still add the microbe lift as an addition, rather safe than sorry is my policy and it also seems to de-stress the fish in a new environment in my experience...

The old tank still houses a layer of biofilm on all the glass, silicon and corners which helps with the bacterial side of things be it minimal, so this helps to boost things in my book...

Considering that these guys live in water so soft and tannic that biological filtration is basically non existent, some of the concerns about that side of things might be mute.

Thanks everyone for your help. Will do as edvet suggested and then just move them over. They have so much leaf litter and wood I don’t think lack of bacteria will be an issue
92f00a6868570ff45493ba829e366391.jpg

Have lots more floating plants I can add, thanks Darrel.

Yeah don't know the fish at all, but if they are anything similar to the normal Siamese fighter they get turfed into jam jars down here at the local fish shop and seem to be ok..they are evidently getting VIP treatment from you !

Back