• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Temporary tanks (two become one) Finally come to an END

Hmm, call me stupid but that is something I hadn't put together.... Now I think about it I've used loads of carbon in the big tank both times on start up and no diatoms.

Is this a well know trick that I've missed along the way tim?
I've had success with Purigen before on Ian holdichs recomendation, seemed most effective run with carbon so thought I'd give carbon on its own a shot see if it makes a difference.
Oh and still love the 40, black and green works so well.
Black & green yes, trying to stop the brown & green, it's not such a good look :lol:
Hi Tim, Superb Little scapes :rolleyes:
thank you Roy.

Evening folks, quick update on these two, slowly sorting out some co2 issues, diatoms have cleared up, can't say if it was solely the activated carbon addition as I've been tweaking co2 and light intensity but I will be using it in future setups, some I phone pics
Some amania bonsai I received from big clown cheers Andy :thumbup: not melting for the first time in 3 attempts with this plant.
15052395747_aed5992fc6_c.jpg

Anubias in flower, had this plant for a few years now and it flowers this time of year every year.
15235877331_d33342ccf9_c.jpg

Buce growing, had this for a while in other setups and it hadn't fared well resilient in the right conditions though.
15235876161_b48b505cda_c.jpg

Fts 40 ltr
15052481510_a243bd525d_c.jpg

The 50 ltr is growing well but got plenty of bba on the wood I'll get round to removing it once I've got co2 stable.
15238865122_5cc0ec10b1_c.jpg

Cheers for looking.

Hi Tim, Stunning :clap: The Anubia Flower :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Thank you Roy, I've had the same anubia flower for the last 4 years, probably triggered by the autumn drop in tank temperature.
Looking good tim:thumbup: nice spot for the bonsai. Told you it was easier than the 1-2 gro
Watching
Thanks Andy, they were quality stems to start with :thumbup:

Looks great tim 2 stunning tanks

Thanks Dean
Cheers Deano :)
Temporary my a$$..:D

By the way what is the rock you have got in these tanks, and where did you get it from? It looks like the Spirit stone I saw in Hong Kong, dark sort of sandy porous material, can be filed, drilled, shaped and scooped out to put planting substrate and plants in to it...
thanks redstevo, the rock is just plain old lava rock, I have to admit I've shaped it somewhat, tried chisels screwdrivers and a hammer, got the best result with an old meat cleaver, I hasten to add don't try this at home I nearly lost a finger :lol:

That 40L looks fantastic, little messing and a reasonable scape there.
Cheers ADA, it needs some tweaking and the background isn't growing in as well as I'd like still early days :)
Couple of pics from this evening I've added a couple more buces and some anubias petite from my 12ltr
Follow the leader :lol:
15312197505_44305dd523_c.jpg

Can't beat a 2 year old cherry shrimp for colour
15125644617_cce8a3f9a0_c.jpg

Suffering a little thread algae at the moment still trying to stabilise co2, reluctant to treat it with glut as there's some nice ricardia fissidens mix growing on the lava rock underneath it.
15125473430_3fbd341d40_c.jpg

Cheers for looking.

Looking good mate.
Like the Cherry shot.What's the aqua soil in there with it ? Love the contrast.

You know that your temporary tanks look better than some "real" tanks that I have seen... :eek:

Amazing!

Reactions: tim
Morning folks, little update on these two tanks, shallower tank is having a few issues with a little melt in places, probably due to slack maintenance with filter/co2 diffuser cleaning gave everything a good clean and trim yesterday so will get this back on track.
Few pics some emersed growth on top of one of the rocks
15020238343_714db77468_c.jpg

Buces are growing well, a little algae on the leaves but they are under quite high light
15453759589_8fcf932d8e_c.jpg

Full tank
15640405945_b98c7ef53c_c.jpg

The other tank will not be so temporary now, will be taking a lovely hmpk betta off ldc groomer towards the end of November, so to that point I've shut the co2 off this one, added some floaters, almond leaves and alder cones, I'll spend a couple of weeks removing any melty plant issues I have and get the tank ready for him :)
15019660274_d9fa107632_c.jpg

The pencils will eventually return to my 3ft tank so this will be all his, I have set up a small 25ltr in case there's any aggression etc etc but I'm hopeful he'll be alright in with them for a month or so.
Cheers for looking.

Both look better than my tanks...

From Alex - Internet names may vary. Comment not fit for human consumption. Contains small parts.

Reactions: tim
Back