• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Question about raising the filter and flow gain

parotet

Hi all

I am tryig to organise my tank cabinet in order to fit inside most of the aquarium items. Due to a large CO2 cylinder my only chance to have more space is to make a small stand for the canister, so it will be raised around 20 cm, probably a bit more.
I have no flow problems now (Eheim 2215 with 1/3 of media for a 65 liters tank) but if I raise the filter I would reduce the distance from the pump to the highest point a 25% (from 80 cm to 60 cm)... does it mean that my canister will gain a 25% of flow compared to the current situation or am I too much optimistic ? My guess is that the canister will save 25% of potential energy...

Jordi

Hi there :)

I do not know about saveing energy.
Thank you Vazkez.. Sorry not sure if I used the correct words in English, by potential energy I meant the energy needed to move one object from one position to another. My guess is that the energy consumption would be the same (watts consumed) although the energy needed would be 25% less due to 25% less of pipe length, always compared to current situation

Jordi

by potential energy I meant the energy needed to move one object from one position to another

Ohh lol I see now :D

As we metion with Andy you gonna have higher flow what means there will be more energy to " push stuff " (sorry my EN is basic too) :p around the tank if that what you mean. This is acctualy not bad at all, however do not turn your tank to washing machine :p

You could try to put the filter on the higher position without cutting the hoses and see. If the flow gonna be too high you can be sure It will be even higher if you cut your hoses. So you could put your filter next to the tank on floor if you will not happy with it.

Raising the filter alone won't increase the flow. Shortening the hoses will increase the flow. How much depends on the difference between the new and old length. 20cm probably will only make a very small increase.

Back