• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My plants are dying, and quick (24 hrs.!)

Vinkenoog1977

Hey guys,

I need some serious help; yesterday, I flooded two tanks, how had been in DSM for about three weeks, so the mosses would attach nicely. I decided to flood after I saw a little bit of the dreaded white fungus in both tanks, on the wood, and attacking some of the Javafern. I removed the affected ferns, cleaned off the wood and the tank in general, and sprayed some liquid CO2, leaving the tank open overnight, and flooding first thing the next day, which was yesterday.
The plants looked fine and healthy, so I flooded, and added half a dozen Amano shrimp in each tank, just to be safe, in case there should be some more of the fungus (had that before, and they dealt with it wonderfully). Well, fast forward 24 hours, and everything looks like utter crap! The Javafern are loosing their colour, going greyish to brown, including the rhizome. The Anubias, both Nana and Petite are looking bad as well; the leaves are loosing colour, going greyish, and are starting to come off the rhizome (rotting). The C. Parva is loosing colour, same as the others, going grey-blue-yellow-ish. I can alsmost see it happening before my eyes, the damage is clearly visible by the hour.
I did a panel, and all the water parameters are spot on, the water was treated with Seachem Prime and Stability, and I dosed EI and EasyCarbo yesterday, plus, there is CO2-injection. And even though the parameters are okay, and the Amano shrimp are going about their business (some have even moulted!), the water smells like rotting plants, as if a regular potted plant had been let to sit in way too much water for weeks, causing everything to rot, it's that same stale smell.
I tried to take a picture with my phone, hopefully you can see some of the discolouration.
10378946_10152326799186024_8007391444191795055_n.jpg

24 hours ago, the Anubias and Javaferns were gorgeous lush dark greens. Anyone have any idea what the heck is going on, and, more importantly, if there's a way to stop and reverse this???

Thanks guys!!!

Nope, did not cut them, and they definitely did not dry out during DSM; as said, until yesterday/ flooding, they looked in perfect health, which is why I am so perplexed. Also, this is no melt, this appears to be rot, pure and simple, hence the stink. Just can't figure out how his is possible; from perfect health to rotting away in under 24 hours.

It could be that spraying the liquid co2 has damaged the leaves?
Just a suggestion, someone in the know may be able to adivise on this better.

In it's non-diluted form, your "liquid CO2" is an effective way of sterilizing...........so that would give you the answer.
And plants killed will ofcourse start to rot.
- another leson learned, I'm sure........;)

Definitely lesson learned, and the worst thing is, that I DID google before spraying it on, and I did find advice for a solution of H2O2 1:4 destilled water, but nothing about the liquid CO2 needing to be diluted. Didn't really think it through, I must admit, had a bit of medical emergency with my dog, so was maybe a bit preoccupied. Well, 5 Anubias Petite, 2 Nana and 3 pots of Javafern Petite; what a waste. :banghead: No more trace of the fungus though. :facepalm:

I am just planting my first ever tank and I am hoping something like this doesn't happen to me I think it will put me off for good!! Sorry to hear about your plants.

Glenn

Bummer...if you just wind everything down for a couple of weeks, light, ferts etc. and do frequent small water changes things may bounce back well, ferns and anubia seem pretty darn resilient in my experience..
They might but it will take some time, mine are still recovering 4 months after slicing and dicing them.

To confirm this is definitely spraying the plants with liquid carbon!! Been there, done that!!! The best thing to do i found is when you do a water change leave the plants you want to treat submerged and then poor a small amount over them. Keep the pumps off!

Back