• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New to ukaps

Dantrasy

Hello aqua devotees.

I should have joined a long time ago. ukups pages have appeared in google searches from time to time, so I've known of the forum for at least a year. but it was only today I peered a little deeper and looked through the 'featured journals' section. I must say it's really impressive. Definitely the direction I'm aiming for. So many scapes have a genuine WOW factor. So I figured I'd join up and learn from some of the masters. Mostly I want to learn about the ever elusive hardscape 'balance'. The rule of thirds still puzzles me, I've never really paid attention to it.

Anyway, after 3 years I'm up to my 10th or 11th 'proper' scape. I currently have 3 tanks (1x 2ft and 2x nanos). One of the nanos was entered in iaplc (first time I've entered) which was a lot of fun. I'd like to try again next year and hopefully do better. So that a big reason why I joined up too. I'm looking forward to reading more about all the awesome scapes here.

Thanks for the welcome. It certainly is a slick looking forum.

Later this evening I'll be tending to my tanks. After that I'll post a pic or two.

In the meantime I wonder what you guys/gals do about rocks that raise GH and KH? I have some rocks that have pushed KH up to around 10 (api test kit). As a consequence the tds is higher too, around 200 ppm. I usually keep KH around 4 in my other tanks. Do you try to decrease it somehow, or just live with it? Any downsides?

Please ask questions in the appropriate forum sections, such as Water Chemistry. Thanks.

Cheers,

Back