• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

TMC AquaRay High Pitched Whine

Tim Harrison

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Does anyone know if TMC AquaRay ColourPlus 1500 suffers from the high pitched whine when dimmed like their other 1500 tiles? Or has this all now been fixed?
Either way, is there a better alternative for similar money?

I would imagine it will be the same for all the 1500's as it is to do with an electrical thingy (sorry not electrical at all!) on the tile that does something with the dimming! I sent mine back and they fixed it for free, however the newer lights have this fixed, but it is luck as to whether you get a new one or an old one!

They turned my light around in a couple of days and gave me a better lense all free of charge!

Thanks guys.
Mine must be older stock then because it whines.
I'm not a big fan of the colour rendition, too much red and blue, i run mine at 60% on one channel and 25% on the other to give a much better colour
Which lights run on each channel. TMC aren't exactly forthcoming with detailed info.

My twin 600's whine while dimming. It can only be heard when I life the hood up though so not too much of a bother... Just glad to have dimmable lights :)

Does anyone know if TMC AquaRay ColourPlus 1500 suffers from the high pitched whine when dimmed like their other 1500 tiles? Or has this all now been fixed?
Either way, is there a better alternative for similar money?

Hi tim
It's a simple easy fix to stop the whine. If you need a how to let me know. It's just a case of take off the cover and there's a little silver box next to the wires, cut through that and no whine. Just make sure you cut the right piece

Cheers Alastair, that's good to know. I haven't bought them yet, but they seem like a good option. I'm throwing out the old, and going optiwhite as well - ADA Garden Cube or TMC signature, I haven't decided yet.

I contacted TMC about this and they are well aware of it. The capacitor that does it is there as a safety for the first led. It can be removed but then you loose your guarantee whether you do it or TMC. They offered me to send my units in to have the capicitor removed. I think I can live with the sound. They said that they researched it and many felt that the sound was bareable to protect the first led. I decided to ignore the whine. I never notice it now I know it's meant to be there... Plus I get the full 5 year warranty.

Back