• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello! Please read on.

Hai, I know this is for the UK peeps but it's the only decent planted tank forum I could find so here goes! So I'm in Australia, we have a lot of limestone here which is white and coffee rock which is red orange and sometimes brown. So I was just wondering how to put rocks in and if limestone or coffee rock would be the best? Or should I do both.
2e6989362ab9b6ae671ba01c4bbf420f.jpg
. Coffee rock. Edit: Turns out that big piece of "coffee rock" is granite.
96e3cec498518e6e94ba87d2da2c160b.jpg
Limestone.

From The Native Dude

Last edited:
hi native dude welcome to the forum :) im not an expert (and im sure they will reply ) but i believe limestone is not an ideal material for aquarium use i would hold off setting up till you get some reply s lol

The coffee rock is nice and solid.... If you touch the limestone you get like a white dust on yourself.

From The Native Dude

Hi Native Dude, Martin's right, there's an easy way to test if they are suitable, but instead of hydrochloric acid, you can also use household vinegar; if it starts to fizz or bubble, that means there's quite a high content of lime in the stone, which, as said, will alter the water chemistry (raise the PH). So the limestone is definitely out, and should not be used.
The Coffee Rock should be fine, it's mostly a sandstone.
http://www.geonami.com/coffee-rock/

Ok, so the brown vinegar didn't fizz or bubble. :) So does anyone have a tutorial on how to place the rocks in looking natural?

From The Native Dude

There is no easy way to explain how to place rocks (hard scape) keep the rule of third in mind, look at as many tanks as you can (YouTube can be helpful) and place your rocks the way you feel is nice, look at it a few days, make a picture (often it gives a different perspective of the layout), change it if you think you need to and do it all again and again and again.....

Back