• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project DIY ADA Style Aquarium Stand

I don't know! I just spent like an hour looking at paint in home base but still no idea!

Got bored so put a door on
egepure2.jpg

Fits better than my pre drilled flat packet tmc one does!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Well that's negotiable dependant on durabilaty of paint... Would a satin work?

That's true bit I'm pretty keen to get it done I think I will go with a satin paint and see how I get on.. Can always build another :D

I've been off work. Finished painting the bedroom as her lady requested so started my own project :)

Looking good Ali, I used satin as well but it looks like you've got a better finish than me! One thing though, where are the holes for the pipe work, on the back?

I neglected to cut any... Have cut a hole on each side and added desk grommets.. It looks OK I think :)

The finish was terrible to start with I brushed on one coat and it was just brush marks!! Sooo in the end I aplied it with a roller and it worked like a charm!!

Here you go chief......

P60_1.jpg

P60_2.jpg

Cheers

I really like your willingness to share this info freely, i'm dyslexic so your sketch up drawings make perfect sense!!!

Out of interest as i'm studying materials engineering at the moment, what sort of longevity are you all getting from your MDF cab's?

Cheers rich

what sort of longevity are you all getting from your MDF cab's?
My mate has a DIY'ed MDF tank stand he made in 1990's. Made from MDF and internal timber frame and doors from old kitchen units. Primered MDF and painted with emulsion paint then varnished. Looks fine. There has been some water attack to the MDF mainly where he didn't use proper MDF primer on inside bits of MDF ie shelves and internal supports he just emulsion paint on MDF there. There is clearly something special about MDF primer. But in 20 years, numerous water spills still ok.

Just asked him about it. Main cabinet was made from waterproof MDF, available from proper timber suppliers ie not B&Q, which in 20years of being wet has shown no signs of problems. Internal sheets and shelves were normal MDF which have suffered water damage, either MDF puffing up and or paint/varnish coming off when leaving drips/puddles of water sitting on them.

Last edited:
Back