• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My First Planted Tank (The End) Juwel Rio 125

Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

Spider Pig said:
How do you grow the moss on the windowsill- just leave it in an open container or do you need a pump for flow?

Easy peasey!... Just in a plain open container. To make up for the lack of pump I do 100% waterchange every other day or so. Once a month or so scrub out the container to get rid of any algae that has built up.

Paulo - your taiwan moss looks so much better than mine (and yours came from me :lol: :lol: ). Just goes to show my SAE's are eating more than I realised.

Hey Paulo.
Just spotted Juwel's new filter media. The Juwel Cirax Bioflow. From what I can see, it looks good. Basically ceramic "hola-hoops" incased in a plastic casing. For the Rio125, you'd need the "Juwel Cirax Bioflow 3.00 Compact Filter Media", they're around £4. I'm contemplating on getting some as they've got to do a better job at nitrifying than the sponges. Just thought I'd pass on the knowledge seeing as you have a Rio125 too.

If you don't mind, I'm going to pinch the idea too once my filter is properly established and get some!

sari said:
I just love your tank and am working very hard with mine at the moment! The growth is fab with just flora boost and easy carbo, can't wait until I get my injection and ferts sorted properly!
Thanks sari, its been a long learning road for me too and anyone can get there, first thing you really need is to invest in the right kit for CO2, lights and filter and then back that up with some decent fertilization either liquid or dry salts and you have the means to grow nice healthy plants, then all you need is your creativity to make a great scape :) I am not even half way there yet, but at least I can grow nice healthy plants now ;)

a1Matt said:
Paulo - your taiwan moss looks so much better than mine (and yours came from me :lol: :lol: ). Just goes to show my SAE's are eating more than I realised.
It too a few weeks to start growing, at first I though about chucking it and then decided just to leave it on top of the rock attached to some mesh to see if it would grow a little more, its a really beautifull moss and I am glad I insisted with it, not sure where in the tank I will keep it eventually, might just give it a good trim and offer it to someone here and wait till I find a place for it.

Fred Dulley said:
Hey Paulo.
Just spotted Juwel's new filter media. The Juwel Cirax Bioflow. From what I can see, it looks good. Basically ceramic "hola-hoops" incased in a plastic casing. For the Rio125, you'd need the "Juwel Cirax Bioflow 3.00 Compact Filter Media", they're around £4. I'm contemplating on getting some as they've got to do a better job at nitrifying than the sponges. Just thought I'd pass on the knowledge seeing as you have a Rio125 too.
Thanks Fred, I had a look at the Juwel site and there was no mention of that anywhere, but I have seen them on ebay and some online retailers, I might get a couple of them to give them a go in my tank. ;)

LondonDragon said:
sari said:
I had a look at the Juwel site and there was no mention of that anywhere, but I have seen them on ebay and some online retailers, I might get a couple of them to give them a go in my tank. ;)

Juwel have also remodelled and renamed the Rekord range of tanks which hasn't made it's way to their website yet either

Hi
I found this forum while looking for info on the Juwel Cirax. I have a Vision 260 with a Standard Filter, and am usure where in the filter sponge sequence this new media should be placed. No info came with the media, the Juwel site hasn't yet been updated to include the product (!), and no-one seems to be informed enough to give me the information I need!
I have replaced one of the fine blue sponges at the bottom of the filter housing with the Cirax basket, but would love someone to confirm if they feel this is the right thing to do!!
Many thanks
Freddie-d

I'd put it nearer the bottom. Instead of the "rough sponges" or the "smooth sponges".

Tank always looks nice. Just wonder how it would look with the ADA treatment... All equipment out, clear background and some good lighting and photography? Bet it would look awesome :D

Fred Dulley said:
I'd put it nearer the bottom. Instead of the "rough sponges" or the "smooth sponges".
I would most likely leave the fine spongues and replace the top spongues with the media, but since I also have an external filter with proper filter media I just leaft the spongues as they are.

jay said:
Tank always looks nice. Just wonder how it would look with the ADA treatment... All equipment out, clear background and some good lighting and photography? Bet it would look awesome :D
Thanks Jay, nex time I take some photos of the tank I will remove the Koralia pump, the spraybar and filter intake are now completly covered by the moss. Clear backgound is impossible as its covered with a moss wall ;)

Themuleous said:
Wow lovely scape! Much impressed :)
Sam
Many thanks Sam, its not looking as great at the moment, gave the glosso a good trim and its not looking great, the Blyxa is almost all dead, melted away, and the Helferi is also on the going stages, all other plants are doing great though, so might have to look for something else for my mid ground plants, I will post some photos soon.

samc said:
hi i like your tank looks great iv got some weeping moss but hasent changed since i bought it any tips? also i was looking for some plants like yours any for sale?
Thanks Sam and welcome aboard, regarding the weeping moss there isn't much to it really, it grows fast in this tank with high light, high CO2, high flow and high nutrients, but it grows very slow in my shrimp tank that is very low tech, so depends on your setup really.
At the moment I don't have any plants for sale, but have a look in the Sale section of the board there might be there something on offer that you like, you can also post a request.

I hear only good things of tropica plant nutrition and tropica plant nutrition plus. Plus one has nitrates and phosphates in addition to the micros, it comes recommended especially if you don't have many fish. I have just today received tropica plant nutrition and am keen to give it a go. I have been using the interpet flora boost so far and that has given good results in my low tech low light tank.

samc said:
thanks for the info, my tank has good amount of co2 and high lighting but the fertiliser isnt that great i use kent freshwater one do you no any good fertilisers?
Has sari mentions you can use TPN+ which is an all in one solution, you can supplement that with EascyCarbo for extra carbon and also aids to kill algae.

You can make your own all in one solution that most people do, check here: http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/allinone.htm

Or you can go the dry salts method like I use in my tank: http://www.ukaps.org/EI.htm

The dry salts are very cheap, I spent £40 two years ago and still have plenty left. I also dose EasyCarbo 5ml per day.

Hope that helps :)

samc said:
thanks again for the info where can i purchase the dry salts from?
Aqua Essentials our forum sponsor ;) thats where I got mine many moons ago!

samc said:
thanks i am new to fertilisers never really used them just woundering which ones to get as its confusing and could i mix them with water so i just add some ov the mix each day ?
If you have a small tank then TPN+ is ideal as its easy, but for large tanks it will become very expensive in the long run, so follow James all in one solution and you will have the same daily liquid fertelizer to dose, which you can tune up to your requirements.

Back