• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello!! New here.

tgc

Hi there I thought i'd just pop in to indroduce myself. My name is Tim and I've been keeping fish on and off for about 13 years. At the moment I have a Trigon 350 discus tank which is getting slowly turned into a planted community for the discus, I've been reading through the site and there are some excellent articles on here.

Anyway as I said I've got the trigon 350, I'm currently running DIY yeast for the c02 (possibly looking at DIY fire extinguisher) and using the origonal light bays that game with the tank (with new tubes and reflectors), I am however looking to buy one of the 125w bresslein MV pendant (any comments?).

As you can probably tell im not shy of trying out and DIY projects with the tank (anything to save some money eh?)

I recently moved back down to the wirral (NW England) and I've noticed that there is quite a few members from around this neck of the woods, so hopefully there maybe some exchanges going on :D

Anyway enough rambling!

Cheers Tim

Hi Tim and welcome along.

I too keep discus in a community but not quite ass larrge as yours and i grew up on the Wirral too.. :p

I'm i'm not too sure on the pendant that you were reffering to but i can highly reccommend the arcadia range. ;)

Here is a great artical on FE Co2 by Themulous.
http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=266

I am sure your going to love it one here and learn a lot, much like the rest of us.

well that looks like a good find. I have no experience with MV lighting. If you post in the equipment section then you may get a better answer.
cheers, dan.

Hi Tim.
Having looked at the web link I would only wonder how you would get even lighting across the surface area of a 90 G tank. I guess if it's mounted high enough you'd get coverage but it's more likely that you'd need a couple of them, in which case it might be better to get the HQI pendants instead because of their broader coverage. As BigDanne said, the arcadias do a fine job.

Cheers,

Hi, yes I have thought about the coverage issue and have come to the conclusion that because of the shape of my tank (corner bow front) being like a 1/4 of a circle, that a centrally placed lamp with a adjust of height if needed "should"? give me enough light.

Unfortunatly cost is playing quite a part and also the boss has a big say in the fact that it MUST tie-in with the rest of the room, which is black and white (the tank base is black). :lol:

OK, I'm with you now. Yes, apart from the coverage issue it should work beautifully. My only other trepidation would be yeast CO2 on that size tank :wideyed: You may want to consider switching over to the fire extinguisher method...

Cheers,

Yes the DIY yeast was really just a test to get me going, I've got three 2ltr generators (pop bottles) in line to the gas seperator/bubble counter, then on to two flower cup diffusers. I'm getting about one to two bps at the moment but will deffo be looking to upgrade to a bigger DIY system in the near future.

Cheers Tim

Back