• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Twinstar thoughts?

Why would a company wanting to make as much margin as possible use a hugely expensive and rare material like Platinum coated titanium mesh? The extended life would be marginal and would make zero commercial sense - it would be far better for their balance sheet to sell you a new stainless steel disc for £10 every couple of months.

Personally, I don't believe the twinstar produces just hydrogen and oxygen.

http://www.technology.matthey.com/article/52/3/177-185/

The above link is about electrochemical water disinfection using platinum group metals in real world applications - I think Twinstar have just used this existing technology and adapted it to use in an aquarium… quite clever really.

Reading the above has jogged my memory why you can't use stainless as it is attacked by chloride produced during electrolysis and contaminates the water, which is why titanium/platinum/rhenium etc is used. Also explains why current reversal is needed.

Maybe the Twinstar is actually producing chlorine compounds, in low doses in the water, which would certainly kill algae and pathogens, and if low enough have little effect on fish.

I agree with Mr. Teapot, that there is other stuff being produced during electrolysis besides H2 and O2.
Cl-, O3, and H2O2 being quite strong desinfectants they are able to kill algae (mainly unicellular ones). But other stuff is being produced also, as there are much more compounds in the water then simple H2O molecules (Mg++, Ca++, K+ ... NO3-, CO2-- etc. all these take part in electrolysis).

nano bubbles of oxygen

Quick google: "MBs and NBs have been proven to be a new environmental friendly technique for oxidation of organic compounds, water disinfection and fouling control"

Cheers Darrel, that's a bit clearer now. Still doesn't make me want to buy one, but interesting all the same.

Should be fine Greebfingers.
200ma is less than 2A.
Some of the indo guys have Got results from as little as 150ma.
I'd be more worried about the fish getting zapped than the house

Thanks for the offer R32syd.
Whats the best thing you've printed so far?

Hi TooFunky,
Thank You :thumbup:

I'd be more worried about the fish getting zapped than the house :D I am going to try it in a bucket of water first.So no fish zapping :D

When I get hold of some mesh I'm going to give this a go using different electrode spacing and a laboratory power supply to work out best voltage/current combo

Also another interesting thing to note is that the article linked suggest that pgm electrodes are not the best choice for O2/O3 production but are well suited to the production of free chlorine from chloride. Now I'm not sure about others but I'm pretty sure the levels of chloride in my tank will be very low as it's non existent in my tap water and I don't add chloride salts of any description. Leaving the disinfection to be done by the oxidising compounds.

Hello Toofunky. I dont know about the best thing so far but i did print the bust of warmachine a few weeks ago. I could do the rest but not had time.
8921d7ed78b40a3178f07de7ae00d932.jpg
f5734f19e0e529e6fd3bf55596822874.jpg

There are some more examples on the other link. Sorry to side track from the subject. andy

I AM BRAND NEW HERE

Could someone help me on the following:

Can it (TWINSTAR) be used in the Marine Water (Seawater or Saltwater)?
What is the effect in the DO in the Water? Does it increase? How much?
What is the effect in the ph of the water increase? decrease?
What is the effect in the others parameters like ammonia? nitrite? etc,
Can it be uses continuously (non stop) (keep it on in a big tank?)
What is the effect if we increase the voltage (V) and keep the current (Amp) constant?
What is the effect if we increase the current (Amp) and keep the voltage (V) constant?
What are the gás produced?
Is there any preciptated material?
What is the min and max voltage (V) recommended?
What is the min and max current (Amp) recommend?

Thanks

Back