• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Co2 dump??

NC10

Hi all,

I've heard of "Co2 dump" but not entirely sure on how, why and what, plus I thought dual regulators overcome the problem anyway.

Basic jist of the story, I got a call from my other half the other day while working which got me into an instant panic (she only ever calls at work when it's bad news!) She told me all the fish were in the bottom left of the tank, with a couple basically laid down. The tank was still still running as if I'd have been there as I got the usual weekly water change in before I left, so everything should have been fine. Same food, same water, same routine etc etc so I knew something weird had happened.

First thing I said was turn the Co2 off and check the temp, the temp was fine which ruled that out and only left the Co2. Within an hour I was told the fish were getting back to their normal selves and finished the night off normal and eating. The Co2 was left off until I got back and they were fine/normal.

I got back and the extinguisher side of the regulator was down to 400psi ish, down from its usual 800 which would tie in with what I'm thinking, even though I don't really understand it!

I'm guessing it started/happened when lights were off so she wouldn't have noticed any gasping at the surface, but by the time the lights came on they were basically on their last legs.

Does this sound like the "dump" and if so why did it happen with a dual regulator?

Cheers for any help, conspiracies or random guesses on what happened :D

Last edited:
You may be confusing dual guage and dual stage. Dual gauge means that their are 2 dials. Dual stage means that the pressure is reduced in 2 stages, which for reasons I don't entirely understand means that when the pressure in the cylinder drops due to gas running out their is no end of cylinder dump.

Cheers @Crossocheilus and @Andy D I've just checked and I definitely have the dual stage version.

http://www.co2art.co.uk/collections...l-stage-regulator-and-solenoid-magnetic-valve

I forgot to mention the drop checker too. I normally run on the darker side of green (to keep the fishys happy) but it was lime/bright green, the brightest I've ever seen it anyway. Obviously this points to a load of Co2 somehow making its way into the tank. The FE is still reading at 400 now and everything has been normal since that day and/or the 400psi drop.

The possible co2 dump aside, many people run a lime green drop checker with fish, perhaps you need to increase surface agitation.

Back