• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

AT's 260 litre with sump

AdrianT

Seedling
1320 x 470 x 510mm high tank, made of 10mm Optiwhite glass. Sump (around 70 litres) below (also from Optiwhite as pure luck – paid the same price), with the “Bean Animal” overflow box and piping design.

ADA Powersand M.
ADA Aquasoil.
Flourite Dark.
SICCE Syncra 2.5 pump.
SICCE Scuba 300 Watt heater.
Do!Aqua Violet glass outflow VP3.
Jebao WP-10 wave maker.
Twinstar Nano.

5kg CO2 bottle with solenoid/needle valve/bubble counter and DIY inline reactor. (But I have another system which I am installing now from CO2 Art, the regulator that is)

Lighting under DIY hood with Alanod reflector, and 1 x dual 54 Watt electronic high efficiency ballast, and 1 x single 54 Watt of the same type of ballast, powering the three 54 Watt T5 tubes >> 1 x Grolux, and 2 x Radium 8800K. Also one IP67 rated LED strip of blue LED's for occassional night viewing, which I've rarely used.

The tank and sump I had made but everything else I did myself. It took just under 6 months to build. Could have taken perhaps half the time. The steel stand takes all the weight, and the "cabinet" is just a three sided unit which can be removed so that the sump can be removed. The wood is blackwood, everything solid.

The tank was dry started, if memory serves me it was about 4 weeks. My aim is mostly Dutch style. I may remove those rocks entirely later. I'm not phased - as long as it's chilled for me. I'm no aquascaper at all, nor do I plan to be. I just enjoy the beauty of an aquarium in my home :)

Although this is not my first aquarium, it is my first proper planted tank. Much to learn still!!! The tank has been running 3 months or so now. And growing well. Not without it's issues of course, but going alright. Enjoy the pics.

I've got cardinal tetras, harlequin rasboras, a dwarf bristlenose pleco, galaxy rasboras and several bronze corydoras'.

Electrics a mess in the pics. Must still sort that out!

26march2014_01.jpg

26march2014_02.jpg

yzer_5april14_3_e1.jpg

random_21april14_24_e1-copy.jpg

aquar_25july14_7_e1-copy.jpg

aquar_25july14_40_e1-copy.jpg

aquarium_5aug14_28_e1-copy.jpg

middeldeur_30au_34_e1-copy.jpg

slp_13sep14_46_e1_crel_1200.jpg

sunset_27oct14_29_e1_crel-copy.jpg

fs_09oct14_43_e1-copy.jpg

aqua_27sep14_97_e1-copy.jpg

aqua_27sep14_59_e1_cr-copy.jpg

aqua_27sep14_11_e1-copy.jpg

Wow
I'm no aquascaper at all, nor do I plan to be. I just enjoy the beauty of an aquarium in my home :)
Man after my own heart. If you're not a scaper your'e doing a very good impression of one. Great photography, great tank.

One thing I must say, spirogryra is a proper irritation, wow... :arghh: But a peroxide treatment I learnt from another forum absolutely hammered it away. It frustrated me for ages!

Last edited:
looks brilliant i love your steel frame idea do have any pictures of the wood cover off? Im interested in making a similar cover but not sure how to fasten it together.

@drodgers , I do somewhere yes. The wood cabinet is purely for aesthetics. It has the front and two sides. There is no back part at all. At the back there is a 6mm bungee cord holding it on. The pipes from the overflow also locate it. I didn't want to part of the frame and to remove the sump easily the cabinet simply slides forward. Sure it's pretty heavy but it works. A lot of work to laminate the wood together, piece by piece. I won't be doing that in a hurry again :)

@drodgers , I do somewhere yes. The wood cabinet is purely for aesthetics. It has the front and two sides. There is no back part at all. At the back there is a 6mm bungee cord holding it on. The pipes from the overflow also locate it. I didn't want to part of the frame and to remove the sump easily the cabinet simply slides forward. Sure it's pretty heavy but it works. A lot of work to laminate the wood together, piece by piece. I won't be doing that in a hurry again :)
Thanks!

Back