• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquatoon

Thanks!

First up is Moya (Mum)!

15703172266_6b7e9ca6d8_k.jpg

As you can see stuffed with eggs, what I haven't reported is that a couple of days ago she dropped the load she was carrying after mating with Geronimo at the post hatch moult, this new set of eggs would have been fresh from the ovaries (no idea who the father is this time but more than likely it's Geronimo). I'm hoping that when I topped up with RO the other day it didn't trigger the moult. If you have a closer look at her carapace you can see in the black that makes her a CBS both red and blue, appears to have a red tail and if you add that to the orange high lights on her appendages she's turning out to be quite a rainbow.

Here's a CBS and a CRS next to Mum!

15107508613_51aaa80bfc_k.jpg

Another CBS (2 if you count the background out of focus one)!

15106936764_4b93f28924_b.jpg

Another CRS!

15703176776_5d7dec9cd8_b.jpg

It's Blue!

15541005489_da8089d461_k.jpg

And unbelievably next to the Blue, a big Clown wearing a red spotted waistcoat and tan trousers!!!

15703181966_da898142a1_h.jpg

15728456112_9f26feda11_k.jpg

Here's a white with red spots next to a pond snail and some RCS for a sense of scale.

15106944694_b62d2a6313_k.jpg

I hope the Blue one doesn't fade over the next few moults!

Just out of interest what camera do you use?

Nikon D800E :thumbup:

:)

Wow!!!! Something for me to work up to! Great tank and awesome photos!! I like the fact that you have such diverse varieties in there that you never know what mix you'll get from the offspring.

Are you ever planning to selectively breed or are you just happy seeing what happens?

Thanks!

Just happy seeing what happens for now, if I find something that screams out at me I might take the plunge. There's space on the shelf for a very small breeding isolation cube if the need arises.

Ha ha ha how's that going to work? Is it like a mini lobster pot!?

I made a shrimp trap to try to remove shrimp... All I caught was corys and cardinals lol. But mine was the inverted bottle top version. This looks better!

Can you explain, please?

It's two plant pots dissected and put back together again with fine mesh, there is an opening at the top to allow the shrimp to climb in and get at the food stored in the middle of a terracotta plant pot weight at the bottom that is also stopping the trap floating up.

I have three heavily berried 2nd generation RCS in this tank along with my CBS and CRS, they appear to be carrying in excess of 40+ eggs each and I don't want them hatching and out competing the CRSxCBS shrimplets for food. So the need to evict them.

Got up today and was "On the Crab", slim pickings though as I only had two RCS in the pot this morning but not the berried ones. Plan change, so I am on pot iteration number two now (changed the lid to exclude the mesh and widened the entry hole), if I'm quick I can plug the hole and get the pot out the tank before any escape.

Already have one! :)

Great tool, only drawback though is its 17" which is longer than the height space I have to work in with that tank. This tool requires a bit of space to manoeuvre it around, also while it may be nearly invisible in the tank when you move towards a shrimp it's aware of the water movement behind it and reacts accordingly, so it's not as easy as it first appears. I should also say it's quite solid and I can see me putting it through the thin walls of my shrimp tanks if I go chasing with it. To catch a load of shrimp at one time I find it easier to place the catcher in the tank and drop food down the handle tube to rest in the bottom of the catcher, I then wait until there's enough of a scrum to get at the food before gently lifting out, this way there are no pressure waves moving towards the shrimp to spook it and they usually sit tight allowing you to lift them carefully out the tank (superb lazy way to catch snails). It's a waiting game I'm afraid on this one as you would not believe how effective an Anubia wall is for hiding shrimp!

The original CRS shrimp tank got a gutting last night!

15594576838_4574987035_k.jpg

Decided to make it for CRS only again and put all the RCS in the main tank. So I fished out the CRS first (easier than you think) and put them back in their rescaped tank (not planted yet, apart from some Lillaeopsis up the back corner out of pic). Picture taken after lights out for a few hours as can be noted by the emergent Alternanthera tops closed up for the night and pale fish.

15160216504_3d8f746948_k.jpg

Did the RCS last, no clandestine sneakiness with tube to substrate just tipped straight into the top of the tank (made sure the majority of co2 had degassed first), the lights were off and the fish stayed out the way. Here's the total mass of everything before I did the move.

15160566263_e95430ab82_k.jpg

The Purple Emperors were very excited when the lights came on over the main tank this morning! Don't know how many RCS I put in there (I stopped counting past 60) but it looks like it may be near the 200 mark! Shrimp are a bit spooked, not surprising when they've never seen a fish before, there will be a fair few fat bellied fish by the end of the day!

Nothing in the shrimp pot this morning :( . Must have spoked them when I did the last pot change over, I'll give it a day or so before I stick my hand in there again.

Last edited:
Did some rearranging of the lights, I moved the mini400 tile from above the Anubia walled tank and put it over the bottom shrimp tank. I put a new 600Ultima strip above the walled tank.

15604047107_ca90ec07d5_k.jpg

15169266834_9ec3c10f8e_k.jpg

Here is a shot to show comparative bulb brightness to each other (how I have them set). They all share the same controller (8-way), the 1500 tile is set at 15% (inner) and 27% outer, the mini400 tile is at 15% and the new 600 strip is at 27%.

15169271384_9ecabe480c_k.jpg

There is no supplemental lighting in these pictures, the top two are shot at ISO2500 1/60sec f/9, the bottom one at ISO800 1/60sec f/16.

Also bought a couple of stuffed pots each of Lilaeopsis Novea-Zeelandiae and Didiples Diandra to plant up in the refreshed shrimp tank now that it has a light over it. Still having no luck with catching the berried cherries in the walled tank, if I put anything in the tank they dart behind the Anubias. Ah well, just have to keep trying!

Ps. Forgot to say I opted for the strip rather than another tile is I'm going to put a small cube tank in the space it extends over.

Last edited:
Great photos!

From Alex - Internet names may vary. Comment not fit for human consumption. Contains small parts.

Back