• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Another user with CO2 Issues

Thanks for the replies and the suggestions (Sacha!).
I have already removed a section of wood to increase the flow, the rock on the far right is very low profile but the stauro behind this suffers just as much as the stauro behind the central rock. They are clearly being moved by the flow and I can physically see bubbles reaching these areas.

My KH is 90mg/l

Any suggestions on CO2/Lights On/Off times? I'd like to start again with this if anyone has any ideas based on their own success.....

Based on this am I right in saying that the KH (based on 90 x 0.056) = 5.04 dH?

In that case im in the ideal range pushing on slightly too much CO2...?

I would crank the lights up and hope for the best. You don't have algae in the tank. If you get algae, you can take a different approach. But for now, you have nothing to lose.

Hoping Clive doesn't stumble upon this post.

I think even Clive's bored of this thread. Think how I feel!

Based on this am I right in saying that the KH (based on 90 x 0.056) = 5.04 dH?

In that case im in the ideal range pushing on slightly too much CO2...?
If thats based on a ph/kg/co2 table you probably don't have enough co2
These tables ALWAYS underestimate co2 levels. Use the value as a starting point and slowly increase injection rate
I'll try find the thread that explains better but basically its down to other things in the tank reducing ph and giving you a false reading.
I don't have a clue what my co2ppm is and don't really care, i just know its as much as my fauna allows. once you realise that getting an accurate value is impossible then things will start to make more sense.
I lower my ph by 1.2 points and my drop checker is bright yellow at lights on all fish and shrimp are fine
I think even Clive's bored of this thread. Think how I feel!
I don't think clive's bored of the thread but has given up because you choose not to believe that your technique is bad.
There could be a small chance your light levels are too low but its unlikely, if you want to try more light just remember things go wrong faster when you have more light
My monies on poor flow and/distribution
When you do eventually get it right you will know exactly what was wrong
Good luck

Thanks for the replies.

I don't think that's completely true Big Clown, Ive taken everyone's' opinion on board including Clives and made many changes to my tank so I think its unfair to say that I haven't listened to what he's had to say. I don't actually think he's ignoring the thread, it was an off the cuff remark (although I'm sure he's got better things to do then go back to old posts:).

I completely changed my flow pattern including filter outlet, changed my method of injecting CO2 as well as dramatically increasing my flow by buying a new filter. I've not only listened to what he and others have said but Ive spent money to try and improve the tanks chances.
I turned up the lights as a last ditch attempt since nothing else seemed to be working for me. Since I don't have a light meter I can only describe 'how much' light im giving the tank using the controllers percentage values but I suppose this wasn't particularly helpful as there is no real reference as to how much light this is.

Since turning the lights up ive seen very positive changes in a lot of the plants (such as roots/runners growing and increased growth overall). Its just this last push to try and get the Stauro to perk up :)

Personally, I think your tank is looking a lot better. :)

Staurogyne is hard to grow sometimes. Mine was suffering from GSA until I doubled the phosphates in my EI mix. Just when it was looking good again, I went on holiday for a week, leaving the lights and CO2 off and with no ferts. This fish were fed once or twice by a neighbour. When I came back the Stauro was in real poor condition, with pale white/yellow leaves, many of them dropping off. It took about a month to recover.

The same thing happened recently when my solenoid broke and it took a week to get a replacement. It is still recovering.

P

Yes the lighting is the same. 2 x TMC 400 LED Tiles suspended at 14cm above the surface. The tank is an ADA 60P (65Litre). Dimensions are 60x30x36cm. The lights have consistently been around the 26 percent mark. I understand that increasing the light will increase the plants requirement for CO2 and therefore if I increase light intensity too much my plants may starve (or words to that effect). Based on a lot of planted tanks I've seen in person my lighting at 26 percent was considerably dimmer. Like I said increasing the light certainly hasn't had a negative effect on my plants with most of them responding very well and showing signs I've not seen before. I wont be increasing them anymore for the time being.
Cheers for your input, much appreciated.

Those tiles are 15watts each over a 65l tank.
I have a single colour plus tile (30watts)over my 60l cube 40x40x40cm, they are set at 75% on channel 1 and 25% on channel 2 and about 15cm from the surface. Any more and i start having problems. Based on that i would say you might be able to use a bit more light without problems.

My advice would be increase the light by 2-5% every fortnight and look for algae appearing aiming for about 30% on both tiles but if you have further problems reduce light and review your co2/flow/distribution.
Good luck

Thanks for the advice Big Clown, I'll take that on board and make some changes. :)

To demonstrate the apparent brightness of a single mini 400 tile at 22% 14cm above a tank (tank height is 24cm) look at my shrimp tank on the shelf! (iPhone4 pic, shot in darkness with only the tanks lights on hence terrible quality)

15563051277_1c93d4a02f_k.jpg

The two channels on my 1500 tile above my 28L are set to 15% and 22% (which is why my 400 is set at 22% as it's on the same controller).

There is Zero algae in the planted shrimp tank and the light is low enough to kill off all the Flame, Christmas and Stringy moss that got planted on the wall, the Anubias are fine. There is algae in the main tank but it's only just hanging on in places and it's not bright enough at the moment to make it a problem, my Stauro grows but it's slow and steady with nice compact growth. I can't uproot my Stauro as it's locked solid into the substrate so I have to trim and replant the tops.

I think you can turn the lights up a bit.

:)

Hi everyone.
Just wanted to post some positive progress. I completely re-scaped the tank (with the same layout idea in mine) and pulled out all the JBL Manado substrate.

My main issue previously was Stauro Repens and I'm happy to say finally it has taken off! The substrate ive chosen is 'H.E.L.P Advanced Soil' and the cuttings are finally rooting, I think the extra nutrient content provided by this soil as apposed to the nutrient lacking JBL Manado seems to have solved part of the riddle.

I also turned my lights up. They are now at 40% each and much lower at approx 2 inches from the surface. The CO2 is pretty much the only stable thing and has remained at 3bps through an inline diffuser.

Anyway, finally something good!

Finally, things are looking up for you. Look forward to seeing the tank when it's exploded with growth and is flourishing and healthy like you want it to be.

"H.E.L.P Advanced Soil"- so damn appropriate.

cc88eca755f33c4cd00c17f88796b7e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to hear you're finally having some luck.

It appears that light was the main factor that remedied your issues, how much do you think was related to flow? I have a similar setup, my plants aren't dying but my glosso just wants to grow upwards instead of sideways, I believe which is down to the flow (lilly pipe instead of spray bar). Lights are at 45% which I've found to be the balance between algae/no algae.

That substrate looks amazing, definitely going to get some.

Back