• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquatoon

Here's both sides of the other blue.

15618111718_85546168a1_k.jpg

15618339477_beefb6e5e1_h.jpg

Also this white Shrimplet is showing blue and red spots!

15805101422_e7043dc62f_h.jpg

It's not that hard to tell the sexes apart when they are so small (different story when they are bigger), the females are growing far faster and are much larger than the males. Top one male, bottom one female, the shape differences are very apparent.

I'm going to be getting a Dennerle Nano 10 to put on the shelf to isolate the Blue Bolts (can I call them that if they are not directly bred from a Panda?) tank size is perfect for the space but I'm not liking the rounded corners at the front, I'm hoping I can turn the tank around and use it that way. I was thinking of putting a wall in the middle to create two cells for selective breeding. I was thinking of maybe doing another Anubia wall, Buces would be an amazing alternative but it would be very expensive (at least 10 plants minimum, maybe double that).

:)

Moya is missing (or having a crack at the hide and seek championships behind the Anubia), the Cherry Shrimp trap turned out to be not much of a trap, so ended up having to perform a manual extraction with a net and captured 9 berried RCS, one remains and is so spooked has gone into hiding, Geronimo is still in there but the other CRS I found as a half eaten husk, the other CBS is missing also, maybe a goner, maybe this is where Moya is dining at. I'm hoping she'll turn up. I've had a pry about behind the leaves, but it's a thicket in there. Lots of Shrimplets about though, I have counted about 25 of them at any one time, there's 3 Red Stripes, 1 Blue Stripes, 3 White with Blue patches, 4 whites and the rest a mix of Black and White, patches and stripes.

Red v Blue

15831584322_a565845dc1_k.jpg

And in the main tank today - After receiving reinforcements earlier in the week a contingent of the Red Cherry Army managed a supply run to Bogwood Ridge. Scouts sent on reconnaissance had reported back that Imperial activity in this area is high, superior numbers required to assault the ridge.

15651179890_55c7107932_k.jpg

15650892887_526921d70d_k.jpg

15650899557_4ef1d1d0b5_k.jpg

15651196500_79a2794c37_k.jpg

15650616388_5d792735a6_k.jpg

It was touch and go for a moment and the Red Cherry contingent was almost forced to flee the ridge, fortuitously starving Imperial forces received a timely supply drop that distracted their numbers long enough for the Ridge to be assaulted. Having collected a significant amount of BBA supplies the Red Cherry Army dispersed from the ridge.

Spotted Moya hiding in the gloom (behind an Anubia leaf) late last night hours after lights of (even checked the filter box at the back earlier in the day and there's only a solitary green cherry back there), thought it might have been Geronimo. Got the torch out and had a quick squizz, and there she was eyes reflecting silver back at me out of the dark from behind the leaf and she's still berried, phew!

Haven't found that last remaining berried cherry, I might be too late to catch it, at least it's just one and not ten because that would have been stupendous, at least 400ish Shrimplets would have come flying out on hatching day, now it's only going to be 40ish. Main Tank will be getting plenty reinforcement soon and the fish are going to have a field day chasing it all.

Wow, some amazing shrimp! Do you have shadow hybrids in there? The blue and white shrimp may darken to shadow pandas. Stunning!

Wow, some amazing shrimp! Do you have shadow hybrids in there? The blue and white shrimp may darken to shadow pandas. Stunning!

Thanks Lindy!

All the young are a known cross between my escapee CRS (Geronimo) from my original colony and a CBS (Moya). The CBS I bought as a pair carefully selected from the shop tank that appeared to show the most female traits, out of the two Moya has turned out to be the female, she is the only female Crystal shrimp of any colour that I have.

Mum
15703172266_6b7e9ca6d8_k.jpg

Dad
15416443069_b1c04cf834_k.jpg

I'm not yet fully educated about all the different naming conventions and gene lines, I'm having a good read up though trying to match what I'm seeing in the tank. Having a look over here on Shrimpism it appears the ones I'm calling Whites are actually Golden Bees. The site speculates that the genetic crossing of Red, Black and Golden Bees is what gave rise to Black Bees, Pandas and Shadows. So it appears this could be correct and this is why I am seeing such an eclectic mix from crossing the above pair. My CBS is showing Red, Blue, Black and White as markings, the Gold is stained throughout the clear portions of her exoskeleton. The CRS is unremarkable other than he's good at tank migration and getting in their first to mate with the female CBS.

So answering your question Lindy, no, there's no Shadows in the tank!

Could there be any as Shrimplets? No idea, I only spotted the extra two blue and white striped ones today so you never know what's hiding in the darkness behind the Anubia wall that hasn't yet been noticed! Also, like you said a few more moults down the line, who knows what they will mature to?

Due date for the next batch should be sometime over the next couple of days so I'll need to hurry and get the new tank to set up to breed this lot out!

Bought some C.Undalatus and some J.Repens yesterday to replace some of the Alternanthera in the main tank, those I removed I transferred to the rescaped shrimp tank. This is how it looks now.

15828435446_c00dc28b10_k.jpg

Here's a closer look up the back, the Tennelus I found hiding amongst the removed Alternanthera so that also went in.

15854269055_b793ce267a_k.jpg

The CRS colony appear to like their newly planted home.

15668250269_6ecde7ef75_k.jpg

Here's how the back right corner of the main tank looks now, less lush than before with the some of the Alternanthera removed but hopefully it will fill in. The Purple Emperors have made full use of the new space to chase the RCS that hide up there.

15666922980_4528b67d79_k.jpg

One of the Anubias in the walled tank is flowering above the surface.

15852277451_f3cbb9a790_k.jpg

Last night I also noted that Geronimo was furtively searching for Moya, thats been 30 days since the first Generation arrived. Since I hadn't seen mum for a few days I was worried she had dropped the eggs late term, later on last night she came out from behind the Anubia wall to feed and appeared to still be carrying eggs, either it's still the last batch or she has moulted, mated and berried again.

Seen today!

15836945106_857b2632e3_h.jpg

Batch 2 is now here, batch 3 hopefully in another 30 days!

Wow again!! This is awesome... I had no idea that so many variants would be possible from a CRS x CBS mix!! Makes me very tempted to hunt for a 'moya' of my own at some point (I'll wait to see if my CRS's breed on there own first though!). I didn't realise the shrimplets hatch and then then mother mates again straight away!! No wonder shrimp populations can explode so rapidly!!

Good luck with the new tanks and breeding of blue, golden bees, etc... Really nice project!! It must be good to know you've got such a variety of genes floating about to play with (that sounded a bit evil!).

If you ever get to the point where your thinking about selling some...:)

Jim

Thanks, I had no idea about the variants either, I would have been just as happy if they were all blacks and reds but the bonus colours has made the long wait feel completely worthwhile.

I would have never of known what breeding looks like if I hadn't observed it closely myself, amazing and scary at the same time.

It's going be a while until I'm at the point of being able to sell any, depends if the wild colours are a blip due to some specific parameter being just right from the moment of conception to birth, or whether I get these all the time, if it's all the time then experimenting might be easier. New tank is needed to do this, luckily it's on its way though!

Next couple of pics are not for the Squeamish. Don't usually get to see this sort of thing as it usually happens up the back somewhere I can't get to.

15706592590_c20079a427_k.jpg

One of the Rummy Nose didn't appear to survive the night, noticed a bit of a shrimp commotion in amongst the Stauro when the lights came on, this was an unusually humpbacked (diseased?) fish so not sure what happened. Either the fish died because it was its time to go, or it was weakened by disease or some other thing, no idea, however I won't discount the possibility that the Rummy was ambushed by a contingent of Cherry Shrimp while it was sleeping in the Stauro (have seen the Rummys do this way after lights out and I've shone a torch into the tank, and there they were fast asleep nestled among the leaves of the Stauro). I don't think I need to remove what's left, the shrimp are taking care of it all on their own, let them have the spoils as they suffer attrition daily by the fish. Here's a nice closeup not long after lights on, it was near skeletonised by lights out.

15893885475_bd7d44387c_k.jpg

For a minute there I thought this one was going to have some vegetables to go with the fish, but alas, it was not to be!

15893895285_18cee3acbc_k.jpg

New Tank arrived yesterday for trying to breed on all those rarities I've got, trying it out in its spot. Still mulling over what I'm going to do with regards to scaping it.

15893902755_d10dd2707f_k.jpg

I do love the anubias wall :)

From Alex - Internet names may vary. Comment not fit for human consumption. Contains small parts.

Been reading up a little and this unremarkable little Shrimplet appears to be a Red Bolt, but the Red is not very strong in this one. Plenty other strong genes though!

15288998683_82de82930c_b.jpg

What is remarkable about this little Shrimplet is that its in the wrong effing tank!

15882856046_33a7b30961_k.jpg

I am at a loss to work out how this one got into the tank, cross contamination is my first guess, but it was weeks ago that I moved the moss ball from the walled tank to this one and today I spot it the same way I did Geronimo, caught out of the corner of my eye, turned around and there it was. It looked like it just got there! So it's getting called Geronimo Jr.

Still trying to work out what I'm doing with the new tank but I think it might involve quite a few packets of black Milliput. I've been rooting through some old Fujichromes for inspiration, here's the thought train.

15882864376_fb8b06d1d3_b.jpg

15721188658_1f0cf23248_b.jpg

15722626849_2d5c96cfc2_b.jpg

15289024843_d313c8e954_b.jpg

15289029743_befc180179_b.jpg

15908688565_082f8a14aa_b.jpg

15289041433_2042f0f02a_b.jpg

And if you want to know what eventually happened to that poor Rummy Nose in the previous post.

15721350500_89faf28968_k.jpg

Nothing left but bones!

Back