• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Leaving hobby or move to Low Tech (260 litre bow fronted tank)

The melt has begun
Some crypts as expected and bolbitus so far but generally all doing not too bad.
Before tonight's 130 litre water change my tds was 680, tap is 267 I'm not dosing anything at the moment so should i be overly concerned? After water change it was down to 460, I'll keep up the changes daily but could do with a pump to help as using a jug and massive container is a chore. Dragon stone may not be helping tds rise so quickly?

Looking sweet, mummy . What's going to be your dosing regimen, or are you relying solely on the soil?
May the dirt be with you.

Cheers wick
To be honest when i first started planning the change from high tech i never considered dosing ferts, lack of knowledge on my part maybe.
I could do with some sound advice as what ti do really otherwise i was going to see how things go with the dirt and go from there.
Still early days yet so still time to add some ei now if that's best

Cheers wick
To be honest when i first started planning the change from high tech i never considered dosing ferts, lack of knowledge on my part maybe.
I could do with some sound advice as what ti do really otherwise i was going to see how things go with the dirt and go from there.
Still early days yet so still time to add some ei now if that's best

Cool.
I guess a lot depends on your frequency of water changes; if you're maintaining 50% weekly WC , then mabye a reduced EI program?
But that's the trouble isn't it-a little pinch of this, a little pinch of that, before you know it, you'll be back to full high-tech again! Jk ;)

Last edited:
Nice sequence of photos...quite a journal so far and a great story and your tank looks good - should grow in very well. I bet you're glad to finally get it sorted:)

Wouldn't have done it tbh without the help and guidance from yourself and others who have contributed to this journal.
So a BIG thanks for getting me my mojo back
It's good to have a new challenge ill enjoy trying to improve this set up as it evolves.
Cheers
Clive and his small assistant Bob

38127adb7d20b29d64fb7619f85cd1ae.jpg

Bob
Also known as Gollum

Quick update pic after 8 days and 1040 litres changed so far

46918909cc5694e30f0f1b81b8526d75.jpg

Tree on the right has taken most of the melt although i can replace a few bolbitus this weekend to keep the plant mass up, I'll trim the ones i remove and see if they recover in my kitchen nano im using as a dumping ground for my spare plants at the moment just a jungle...
On the plus side I've lost no fish and the stems have grown quite well already.
Still not dosing anything.
Here's the kitchen jungle
ba6ea4d044916b02a5d5fbf73e5f1f96.jpg

I have the crinum calamistratum and aponogeton out of the tank now. One of each. Can't find the sale/wanted section tonight so just posted here. Pm me your offer for both inc 1st class postage?

2 weeks in and checked one of my filters last night, wow that was dirty, red tinge to the sponges and the fine sponge was so heavy must be the soil and clay. I expect the other is the same but I'll look at that next weekend so not to cause any issues.
So a few new bolbitus and narrow leaf into my tree on the right, a couple of crypts w. Green in the right corner and 2 Swords to the rear centrally to hopefully give the anubias some cover once they grow.
These 2 weeks have flown by water changes now every 3 days which I'm happy about. Tds now not far above tap so things seem settled
f459a7505ea119435ca36ce328a3ee5b.jpg

27f9fa42a6d3ef20a607063ba9186764.jpg

109cca2416b66b2ca5169f3f9c2cf73e.jpg

Cheers tim, i over prepped maybe, tried to make sure i covered everything and seemed in the planning stages for ages but I'm pleased so far although still crossing all my fingers

Reactions: tim
Looking really green and lush.And you seem to be having fun and enjoying your tank at the same time; which of course is how it should be.
Welcome to the dirtside:thumbup:

Back