• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Do Fertilizer Salts React With Metal?

Julian

So I went to IKEA recently and bought a magnetic strip that goes on the inside of my aquarium cabinet and holds my stainless steel scissors/tweezers etc.

Call me insane, but now I want to super glue 10p coins to the inside my fertilizer jars so I can stick them to the magnetic strip also.

Maybe I've watched too much Breaking Bad, but I just want reassurance that bad things aren't going to happen!

P97UoqK.jpg

Id like to know how you stick nickel coins on a magnet. Glueing 10p coins seems like a pointless exercise
1p&2p coins made after 1985 will stick because they have a steel disc inside.

10p's are Cupronickel - 25% Nickel 75% Copper. I tried 2p's, they were too strong, 10p's are just right :D

Yes the salts will probably react with metal due them absorbing water, so probably best not to. Also if those containers are polyethylene or polypropylene super glue or in fact virtually any common glue won't stick to them.

If the coin is going on the bottom you could isolate it from the salts by sealing it up with a deep layer of wax poured over it (I wouldn't use scented wax). Not sure how you would do it on the side and have it stay there.

:)

10p's are Cupronickel - 25% Nickel 75% Copper. I tried 2p's, they were too strong, 10p's are just right :D
Just looked further into this
10&5p's are no longer made from cupronikel which is 25% copper and 75%nickel which wont stick to a magnet either, they are now made from a steel disc thats plated, pretty much the same as our bronze coins.
A70FA438-8092-4B02-86E6-100D75D30947_zpsib0vzr5u.png

Anyone fancy melting some coins down;)

Back