• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

is there such a thing?

plantnoob

as a cheap aquatic compost that doesnt need mineralising and doesn leech ammonia in the early stages of use ? something i can cap with playsand . i was looking at using just playsand and root tabs , but worry that it will compact too much at the required depth.

tank plan is ive just picked up a 2nd hand roma 240 . looking at using the standard t8 lighting and trying out a low light setup using liquid carbon and an all in 1 liquid fert . simpke plants such as aponogetons , swords , anubias java fern etc maybe some moss but with chrimbo on the horizon i need to keep ir cheap as poss

as a cheap aquatic compost that doesnt need mineralising and doesn leech ammonia in the early stages of use ? something i can cap with playsand . i was looking at using just playsand and root tabs , but worry that it will compact too much at the required depth.

I dont think there is. What fert are you dosing?. Does it have NPK ? You can also have a inert substrate and dose the water column. This is what ive always done with great success. You shoul be fine with what you are planning as long as the fert has NPK and micros.

i was planning on using neutro co2 and either neutro t or neutro+ from aqua essentials .

the AE website says 5ml per 50L daily for neutro+ . does the pond soil leech ammonia?

I believe a few weeks. Maybe 4 or so, someone correct me here. Im no expert on substrates since I only dose the water column.

how about just playsand and root tabs? would this compact too much and lead to failiure?

You will probably need ferts in the water in the first weeks so that your plants dont suffer and die. I dont think there is a way around this. Ferts are very important and problems come when you dont have enough. I think roottabs isnt normally enough specially at the start when there is no nitrates or phosphates in the water.

plan is daily dosing with neutro co2 and neutro+ with root tabs under the swords etc as well . where im at right now is ive got the tank , lights , filtration etc . just need substrate , plants , ferts et .

Yes then that looks fine. Neutro+ supposedly will provide micros and macros. And neutro co2 will supply the co2. By the way I dont have experience with neutro + and I would better recommend buying dry salts but its all up to you.

i lack the knowledge to use dry salts and mix up my own . the neutro+ supposedly contains micro and macro , and aqua essentials is a site i trust . ive seen aquariumplantfood do a complete liquid fert too which may be worth lookung at

ordered some substrate capsules from aquarium plant food , tomorrow il pick up a couple of bags of sand , then once the timer plug ive ordered on fleabay turns up il be ordering plants

Back