• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 newbie - help choosing kit for my 200 litre

Tropical Simon

Seedling
Since I joined here I've gone from just wanting a few nice plants to starting to use dry salts and now I think I really need a CO2 system.

I can't find anything for a 200 litre setup, the closest I got is the Fluval 88 kit (http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/fluval-pressurised-co2-kit-88-p-5378.html) but it only goes up to a 151 litre tank. Do people use 2x smaller kits or 1 large one or?

Is there anything similar that would suit my tank? I'd like something "complete" and simple really while I learn about it.

What's your budget? If you really want CO2 those 88g kits are not worth it. At a push they're OK for Nano tanks but even then you will be buying replacement bottles very often. For 200 litres you should have a 2kg bottle or larger with a decent regulator and in-line atomiser.

I recommend spending a decent amount of money for quality kit, but you don't have to get an expensive brand like JBL, Dennerle etc. Try CO2art from the UK or us-aquaristik.de from Germany.

P

It's all looking very complicated - I'm a bit in over my head at the moment so I think I will do some reading for a bit longer.

Hi,

With the disposable JBL kit you linked to, again it's only a 500g bottle that will need replacing a lot and it ain't cheap. For £130 you can get something that will last you as you grow in the hobby. Plus the 'Tornado' diffuser in that kit is a real eyesore. Be patient, save and look at the 'smaller' brands like CO2art, us-aquaristikshop.

P

Your shopping list:

Dual Gauge Regulator with integrated Solenoid and needle valve (£80ish for a decent one that won't blow up)

2KG Fire extinguisher (£23 from eBay)

co2 Tube (£2)

bubble counter (£7 for a decent one that won't break)

drop checker (£8)

Check valve(s) (£3)

4dkh water + bromo colouring+ co2 indicator solution (£6)

diffuser/ atomizer (£15 for a half- decent one)

a timer plug.

I put all this together for £141.43 at the time that I bought my first Co2 set- up.

Back