• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

powerhead to strong?

I just got a new powerhead (the old one had to suck in water from the top which isn't good if the water level dropped), but the one I got now seems very powerful. Although it's 2000 l/h (my tank is 300 liter) when I tested it in a bucket of water the power seems enormous that I am afraid it would blow everything out of my tank. My old powerhead is only 1000 l/h and I want to get a bigger/longer spraybar, because I still have some problem areas (mostly in the back) I also wanted a stronger powerhead....I have the old powerhead hooked up to a spraybar without anything that could have an effect on the output, does anyone here had experience with this or an idea if it will be to powerful indeed?
I also got 2 canister filters which give 1500 l/h output, but I've got prefilters and CO2 reactors on them which effects the output a lot, I think there is less than half of the output left.

Last edited:
2014-11-22163746_zps71e0338b.jpg

A picture of current setup (after mayor pruning) with the old (short) spraybar.
Plants are doing OK but still not good enough.....

Why not try to find a power head with adjustable flow ? I know when I used powerheads I had ones with a little lever on them that adjusted the flow of them.. which came very helpful in my 27g hexagon where even a low flow power head blows plants around due to how short/narrow a tank like that is..

My suggestion... Why not try a Top fin Internal 10g or 20g filter or maybe the 40g if you want a bigger/longer spray bar.. It has a spray bar attachment on it which you can swivel 360 degrees and you can detach the bar if you don't want it and itll blow just like a power head... It has adjustable flow as well.. and the 10-20g version are about the same size a powerhead... Plus they will add more bio media to the tank.. I know you might think im crazy but im in love with these internal filters from top fin... They elimanted my need for powerheads and air stones and the spray bars on them allow for a good even flow in the entire tank

I just got a new powerhead (the old one had to suck in water from the top which isn't good if the water level dropped), but the one I got now seems very powerful. Although it's 2000 l/h (my tank is 300 liter) when I tested it in a bucket of water the power seems enormous that I am afraid it would blow everything out of my tank. My old powerhead is only 1000 l/h and I want to get a bigger/longer spraybar, because I still have some problem areas (mostly in the back) I also wanted a stronger powerhead....I have the old powerhead hooked up to a spraybar without anything that could have an effect on the output, does anyone here had experience with this or an idea if it will be to powerful indeed?
I also got 2 canister filters which give 1500 l/h output, but I've got prefilters and CO2 reactors on them which effects the output a lot, I think there is less than half of the output left.

Hi Martin
Testing it in a bucket is completely different to being in the tank. You'll find it would be a wider spread depending on the device. The new eheim power heads have adjustable flow and are in various flows

Ps lovely tank

Hi Martin
Testing it in a bucket is completely different to being in the tank. You'll find it would be a wider spread depending on the device. The new eheim power heads have adjustable flow and are in various flows

Ps lovely tank
I will just go for it and see what will happen...a longer spray bar will spread the flow for sure.

If they flow is too much then just put the spray bar under the water more and aim it up.. That's what I do to all my internal Pumps.. they all have like 7-8 inch sparay bars on them and for my smaller tanks or narrow tanks like my 27g hexagon or my 10g bowfront ect.. I put the pump further down and aim spray bar more towards the top of the tank.. This spreads out the aggressive flow more

Back