• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

So i soiled myself

plantnoob

Well yesterday i got a bee in my bonnet and thought sod waiting for ebay , went to b and q and got a bag of verve aquatic compost . Drained the tank down took out the sand , in with the soil and capped with about 2 cm of sand . Timer plug for lights is here too. Hoping to be able to order plants some time next week .

so the soil has been in 24 hours now . water was crystal clear when i filled the tank , but now has a very slight haziness to it , along with quite a surface film . also im seeing the odd little bubbld here and there pop up out of the substrate . small bubbles say 2 to 3 mm . hopefully this is the bit where somebody experienced with soil tanks comes along and says this is quite normal and will as the soil mineralises subside with waterchanges

It does, this is just the initial period, give it time. I have used pond soil in some of my breeding tanks capped with 2-3mm gravel.
tjanks , i figured it would probably be the case . plants should be orded thursday , lots of em too . will prob do 50% watwrchange every other day in the mean time , then once planted test daily a d waterchange as appropriate until things settle down

so plants coming tomorrow . the new soil is still putting a slight haze in the water , so its big water change this evening . got some purigen coming with the plants too which should help watef clarity whilst things with the soil settle .

I did a capped pond soil substrate a week ago and still got a bit of a haze. I have floss and purigen running so wondering if it is a bacterial bloom?

i think its just part of the soil mineralising to be fair. my water actually went slightly yellow at 1st .my soil has been in about 10 days now and had a few water changes in that time . lqst water hange was friday , planted it last night and water seems clear now . still going to add the purigen when i nesxt do a water change though .

Back