• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants turning white ?? What causing this

candymancan

My 44g tank has been setup for about 2 months now.. All my plants are transplants from my 27g hexagon and 55g tank.. They all adjusted very well actually which im surprised.. The watersprite has near tripled in size and the Broad leafed anubias has already grown 3 new leaves, My wisteria has grown 5-6 inches.. The ones that started off rough were my Telanthara Reneki but it now has grown about an inch and the new growth is very pink/red. My Green Combamba is growing deep roots and it too is growing well which is suprising usually this plant is a pain in the butt to get growing..

One plant though didn't take at all.. The Ludwigia just kept losing leaves and just basically died.. It did have new growth on it but they were very white looking... The Limnophila hippuroides. Has grown about 3-4 inches on the big one I transplanted.. but the other 3 stems just died off however they sprouted new growth on the side's of the old stems.. They new growth the leaves are very white.. and same with the big one.. it may have grown a good 3-4 inches.. but the leaves aren't as big and they are nearly white... Compared to the old growth which was very green and orange on top and purple/pink on the underside of the leaves..

I don't dose ferts in this tank, its a discus tank.. I tried dosing flourish in the tank.. but doing so my discus acted negatively.. They started closing one gill and breathing out of only 1.. Another stared tipping up and spazing out spinning in circles in the tank.. So Im not dosing flourish anymore. I do water changes about every 2-3 days.. Nearly 50-70%.. Nitrates are always between 10-20. KH is 4 drops on API test so about 65ppm, and GH is 8 drops on API kit so about 140ppm, Phophates are 1.0ppm

The lights im using are a duel 65w Power Compact.. Brand new bulbs. One is a 6700/6700k bulb. The other is a bright pink plantgrow from catalina.. Ive never had plants turn white like this except when I had my lights off for a few days and also in my 5.5g betta tank.. I had watersprite in that tank and it turned very white.. That tank is using a bright pink bulb also.. So I am wondering if its this duel pink plantgrow from catalina.. Im debating on taking that bulb out and putting in a 6700/10k bulb for awhile to see if the plants react better.

Anyone know why some plants are doing good and others are turning white yet still growing..

20141205_223905_zps39bda672.jpg

20141205_223917_zpsbe2e3737.jpg

20141205_223926_zps90876361.jpg

20141031_143336_zps9cb54540.jpg

Last edited:
Lack of the ferts, low ca.? or maybe the excel too.

Well i have been using a lot of excel to kill BBA that is growing on my plants. BUt i havr used excel before with these plants and never had an issue..

Since the plants in question are root feeders... Could i use root tabs and not affect my discus.. because last time i used flourish my discus acted like they were dying

The discus dont seem bothered by excel.. its the ferts that bother them not excel

Oh I see. Change your ferts to something that you know what its made out of. Ideally you should dose dry salts kind of ferts. Florish fert seem very likely to contain ammonia as a source of nitrogen. Ammonia is poisonous ad your discus might be sensing it even though in very low doses.

So it isn't the pink light then right ? Because It does this in my 5.5g as I said with the pink light also.

Seems to be a lack of iron I guess. Ok I have some seachem iron I put a full dose in the tank.. the discus don't seem to be bothered by this like they are flourish.. Hopefully this helps my plants.

Do you think I should get some root tabs though ? The plants mainly in questions have a big root system and the tank is only 2 months old using gravel so there isn't anything in the gravel as far as fish poo and food goes

It certainly won't hurt, but perhaps you should also give some thought to dosing fertz. Check out Estimative Index, which is a eutrophic method of fertz dosing that works very well and shouldn't harm your discus. If your tank is low-energy (no CO2 injection) then use 1/10 - 1/5 dose, once a week or so.

My tank doesn't dose CO2 but my lighting is pretty high actually.

I just put in some iron 2 days ago and I noticed all the white plants are turning green again.. So I must have been low on iron I guess

It certainly won't hurt, but perhaps you should also give some thought to dosing fertz. Check out Estimative Index, which is a eutrophic method of fertz dosing that works very well and shouldn't harm your discus. If your tank is low-energy (no CO2 injection) then use 1/10 - 1/5 dose, once a week or so.

Plus 1.

Liquid carbon can have a poor effect on true aquatic stem plants, As your set up is low tech, no CO2 I would just add Tropica Premium or Profito increase dosage if needed, I had good results from these.Ludwigia can drop bottom leaves and have healthy tops, but what you decribe sounds like nutrient shortage more than anything else.

It wasn't the liquid carbon.. Im still overdosing it in the tank 4 capfuls to kill this black beard algae.. Ever since I put in 1 dose of Iron the plants are now purple/green.. Ill take a picture tomorrow as its night and I don't want to spook my discus. It deff was lack of iron in the tank I apritiate your help guys I was worried with my plants turning white.. now they are looking very healthy

Sadly though my pink plant grow bulb like blew up yesterday.. no idea but its pisses me off that was a 25$ bulb ive had for only 1 month from catalina so im calling that company tomorrow

Last edited:
Ever since I put in 1 dose of Iron the plants are now purple/green.. Ill take a picture tomorrow as its night and I don't want to spook my discus. It deff was lack of iron in the tank I apritiate your help guys I was worried with my plants turning white.. now they are looking very healthy

Youll might run into another deficiency/algae very soon unless you add all nutrients the plants need.

Becareful with the excel. I wouldnt go too much above the recommended dose, specially for discus. Its like playing with a red hot piece of iron.

I'm no expert but I near on stopped using exel as it was having adverse affects on my tank too... I use it now on very rare occasions and just for spot treating anubius leafs via syringe , that's it!
It seemed to be killing certain plants.. Go with the Ei dosing it was the best info I listened to on here, I tried everything, wasted lots of money until the Ei.. From there on ive had mostly success.. All thanks to the guys on here :)

I'm no expert but I near on stopped using exel as it was having adverse affects on my tank too... I use it now on very rare occasions and just for spot treating anubius leafs via syringe , that's it!
It seemed to be killing certain plants.. Go with the Ei dosing it was the best info I listened to on here, I tried everything, wasted lots of money until the Ei.. From there on ive had mostly success.. All thanks to the guys on here

I agree. Id say EI is the best thing that was done for the hobby ever. Or to maybe its fairer to say:finding out excess nutrients does not cause algae.
Excel normally has negative effects when its not used as per instructions. It wasnt designed as an algaecide I believe, but as a carbon supplement. Killing algae is a side effect. I never use it to kill algae. Ive only used peroxide. Excel can be used but along with its risks.

what is EI dosing anyway ? All I have is flourish, iron, and API leafzone all 3 work great in my 27g hexagon.. I have ZERO algae in that tank.. except a little bit of green spot algae but then I have green spot in all my tanks I never found a way to stop it. But my plants flourishing in that tank..

I stropped using the excel in my discus tank like 3 days ago, it killed the black hair algae and that's all I wanted it for. My damn plant grow power compact bulb blew up in the fixture the other day.. no idea why... I have had it for a month catalina brand and that company isn't returning my calls. kinda ticked off..

Question, how do you guys get to 0 nitrates or keep nitrates low beside the obvious water changes.. I see people have to dose nitrogen in their tanks to keep it at 10... Ever since I got into plants like 3 years ago I have never seen a difference in my nitrate levels.. and my tanks are so heavily planted I cant fit anything else in them.. and my discus tank has a TON of watersprite which is a fast grower. Maybe they are reducing nitrates a little and I just don't know but I dunno lol I always wanted a tank where I never had to do water changes

candyman, if what you do is working for you then dont change a thing thats my philosophy but, it wont heart to learn about Tom Barrs EI dosing just in case you run into problems like the spot algae that you have. Spot algae is normally a low phosphates issue (or low CO2 in a high tech), so in your tank this is probably the limitting nutrient and its whats limitting your plant growth. I would advise you to read a lot more on the basics and then come back to ask some questions.
Here are some useful links as intro:
http://www.sudeepmandal.com/hobbies/planted-aquarium/guide-low-tech-excel-planted-tank/

http://www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=dosing-with-dry-salts

Happy reading!

Hi all,
The real "problem" with NO3 is that none of us really know how much we have in the tank water. It is quite problematic to measure, even with lab. scale equipment. If you record 10ppm NO3 on your test kit, you know you have some nitrates, but you really don't know whether that is 10ppm, 20ppm or even 100ppm.

If you want to demonstrate this take a water sample, test it for NO3, and then add some salt (NaCl) or "Epsom Salts" (MgSO4.7H2O) to the water and test it again. You haven't added any more NO3, but you have added other anions (SO4-- & Cl-) and I would be surprised if you get the same result.

One thing that this forum has shown pretty clearly is that high levels of NO3 aren't toxic to fish, when they result from the addition of a fertiliser like KNO3, rather than being the "smoking gun" from high NH3 and NO2 levels.

Many people use EI with good results, but because I'm not interested in fast plant growth, or aquascaping, I use plant health as an index of the nutrient status of the tank.

If we can discount CO2 availability, plants need at least 10x more N and K than the other elements (including phosphorus (P)) and they are by far the most likely elements to be limiting for plant growth.

My method consists of monitoring the growth and colour of a floating plant, originally it was Duckweed (Lemna), hence the <"duckweed index">, but now I use Amazon Frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum) which is more tolerant of more acidic, nutrient poor water.

All the time the floating plants are a healthy green and in growth I don't add any nutrients, once growth slows, or the plants become very light green, I add KNO3. If they don't green up pretty rapidly I then feed them with a complete fertiliser.

So far the complete fertiliser has always done the job, and then it is back to monitoring "duckweed health".

I carry out regular small volume water changes (with rain-water), and that is it.

cheers Darrel

Back