• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lights adequate?

Deansie

Hey, I'm in the process of setting up my first nature aquarium, just getting all the equipment.
To date I have the following
Aquaone aquanano 55L
ADA Amazonia soil 9L
And this T5 light as hoping with 24W it will be more adequate.

http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/a...ll-aquarium-sump-refugium-lighting-3-x-8-(1)/

I've ordered an additional T5 Arcadia tropical tube to replace the blue tube that comes with the unit.
Will this unit provide enough light for good growth?
Once the rear filter chamber is took out the equation I reckon the planted part will be around 45 litres for with 24W that gives roughly 1watt per litre?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, don't want to start set up if light isn't going to be good.

Many thank for your help!!

Deansie

It will be fine, Ignore watts per litre. Personally I'd just get a TMC Mini for that price. LED more energy efficient, lasts longer, dimmable etc.

It will be fine, Ignore watts per litre. Personally I'd just get a TMC Mini for that price. LED more energy efficient, lasts longer, dimmable etc.

Hi Julian and thanks for your reply. Any chance you could explain things a little more for me?
Ive read:
1 Watt per 4 litre is poor lighting= few plants will grow
1 watt per 3 litre is moderate= most will grow
1 watt per 2 litre is strong and = good growth

how can I tell if I have enough light?
How can you judge the strength/ suitability of an LED unit?

even good links for me to read would be great if possible.

thanks

I've got 18 w over a 40 litre tank
More than enough light

Can't find links for you at the moment, there's lots of info on this site though. Long story short, there's no such thing as a "high light" plant, CO2 is the limiting factor when it comes to growing things so worry more about this. Ignore colour spectrum as well. Trust me.

Thanks for your help, if some plants grow in shallow water that couldn't in deeper water surly that's means that some need different intensities?
I have a good C02 set up so that's good to know.

Hi Julian and thanks for your reply. Any chance you could explain things a little more for me?
Ive read:
1 Watt per 4 litre is poor lighting= few plants will grow
1 watt per 3 litre is moderate= most will grow
1 watt per 2 litre is strong and = good growth

Its not too bad but I would say that is a very pessimistic outlook.

I would suggest that 1 watt per 4 litres is fine for most easier plants (mosses, ferns, anubias etc) 1 watt per 2 litres is fine for most plants I agree.

You can go pretty low with the easier to grow plants. Down to 0.5WPG you'll still be able to grow the 'low light' stuff.

Thanks supercoley, that reassures me I'll be able to grow most things, I got those figures online.

Thanks for your help, if some plants grow in shallow water that couldn't in deeper water surly that's means that some need different intensities?
I have a good C02 set up so that's good to know.

Which plants are you talking about here? As long as you aren't trying to grow them using a candle, you'll be fine.

Have not chosen the plants yet as am just getting everything together prior to ordering, just didn't want to start on the back foot.

That light will be plenty for any plant you like. I used the same over a 35L Arcadia Arc, and only needed to use 2 bulbs. As Julian said, get the CO2 right and you'll do absolutely fine.

http://www.theaquatools.com/electric-equipment-calculator

Look at the graph at the bottom of the page on the above link.
That graph is from the very old Fitch family article and is not correct. Amano does not use the amounts of light that they stated he did. That article was one that always used to be linked to by people harping on about needing 4WPG, 6WPG etc over tanks.

If you notice it isn't until 100USG tanks that the stated light needed gets down to 2WPG. When you look at where 50USG is it advises 150W (3WPG), where 30USG it suggest 120W (4WPG) and the smaller you go the more that ratio goes.

So for most of us running 10,20,30,50 gallon tanks it suggests to use 7WPG,6WPG,4WPG,3WPG etc because Amano does when he doesn't. He uses pretty low light.

Back