• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is my tap water a lost cause ?

Wont doing a 50% water change every day be bad for the tank combined with cleaning the filters like that ?

I did a 50% change last night and LFS seems to think it might be a strain of white spot so they on treatment for that and it says on the box it can be used at same time as a bacteria treatment so might try that as well. So no more water changes for next 3 days at least.

I removed all the carbon from both external filters and guy at shop said if im running a CO2 system im better off not using carbon anyway so will chuck it out.

Lets see what happens in the next few days... Fingers crossed.

Nope cant see any white spot at all but LFS said there are quiet a few strains of it that you cant really see... Seemed a bit weird to me but you gotta trust someone in the end, im going to add some bacteria treatment as well just to be safe.

~In regards to the carbon its probably been in 2 months so its ready for changing anyway plus it needed to be removed with the treatment anyway.

To be honest i just don't know whats wrong with the tank so just gonna have to try different treatments and see. At least the treatments is only 3 days.

Carbon does not need to be changed unless you are using it for a specific reason like removing tanins or removing meds.
I would have left the carbon in to be honest.
If there is no sign of whitespot then I am not sure I would dump chemicals in there to treat it. Someone at the LFS is going to suggest selling you something. ;)
A broad bacterial treatment may help but unless you can be sure there is a bacterial issue I would do water changes first to see if this helps improve matters.

I find this site very useful - http://skepticalaquarist.com/bacterial-infections

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
This article should be mandatory for EVERYONE WHO KEEPS FISH

I am quite sick and tired off everybody just dumping medications in their tank without a diagnosis ora consult with a professional. Not to mention what they do with their "mediacted "water afterwards. Lets just dump it in the sewer and it will magically disappear......:mad::mad::mad:

/ive just done a big water change. I run 2 all ponds solution external filters (1600 and 2000 i think) both have the normal media in them, should i remove the carbon from them during treatment. Will the other media components be ok

Yes carbon is absorbent and will reduce the medications efficacy so remove it, same with polymer resins like Purigen.
Ed is right to a point, but beyond water changes, I think what ails your tank is beyond conservative treatment and now requires a more aggressive approach, e.g. the eSHa products I mentioned. For instance, fin rot can be caused by both fungi and bacteria, hence the recommended broad spectrum approach.

Not enough clowns in the group and the caves are far too big for the clowns which like jamming themselves into tight places, couple that with the problems other members mention is probably why their sick.
Also the tank isn't really big enough for clown loach.
I agree with edvet daily 50-75% water changes and see if you can manage to save it personally I think it might be too late

Thanks for the advice, done the water change and added the suggest meds. Though i disagree that a daily 50-75% water change is a good idea, it would make the tank like a new one within a week.
As for tank not being big enough for clowns i hear things like this all the time, and agree if they was big clowns when bought, when (or if) they grow big they will have a new home., Also there is lots of small places that the clowns can hide when they want just to the right of the large bit.
Thanks again though for the help.

Edvet i DID go see someone before dumping meds in tank, i asked on here, did water tests and consulted with LFS :)

Though i disagree that a daily 50-75% water change is a good idea, it would make the tank like a new one within a week.

Why?

As long as you dechlorinate the water it would be fine. What you would be doing is replacing possibly contaminated water with nice fresh water.

I hope you get it sorted though! :)

In 1-2 years healthy clowns will reach 4-5inches if fed properly which is very difficult to achieve without overfeeding tankmates, at which time they will already be too large for that tank. They dont like bright lights.
Re. water quality/changes. i dont bother with any test kits for checking water. I only measure tds my clowns start greying out when tds approaches 400 but generally a 50% water change, weekly, keeps tds around 170-250ppm. Any sickness or odd behaviour is treated with dailly water changes for 2 weeks before i think even about meds, which should be used in half doses with clown loach and if your really worried about resetting the tank/filtration to "new" then use dechlorinator to remove excess ammonia, which your plants do anyway

Just making sure.

Is a dechlorinator being used to treat the water at water change and does it deal with chloramine. Is it possible this may be chloramine poisoning.

Here's the skepticalaquarist link, the comment at the end from chem geek says Nitrate is produced when chloramine oxidises in the tank (when using chlorine to oxidise the chloramine), could this explain why nitrates are elevated (providing the test is accurate).

Wild stab in the dark I know but it's better than being told carbon is a bad thing to have in the tank when injecting co2.

Before I knew about chloramines (I degassed 24hrs) I lost fish after fish this way, was a year and a half down the line with the tank and had no issue with the way I changed my water until they dug up the road for that stupid tram that never ended up coming down this way.

:(

I've not used anything added to my tap water in a long time, picked up some Aqua safe though other day but not going to use it for another 2 days as treating them for white spot as suggested by LFS. Any particular dechlorinator you suggest or is this aqua safe as good as any.

I've not used anything added to my tap water in a long time, picked up some Aqua safe though other day but not going to use it for another 2 days as treating them for white spot as suggested by LFS. Any particular dechlorinator you suggest or is this aqua safe as good as any.

No dechlorinator used by you at all for water changes?
Is this a mix up?

Yeah i've added some now, cant do a water change till Thursday as there in treatment but I've added some aqua safe anyway as figured it cant do any harm. I use to always use a water treatment at last house when i use to fill tank with a bucket, just use to add it to the bucket. However since moving i set up a hose pipe to save the hassle of buckets and guess just gave up and lost focus of what i needed to do... Time to kick myself up the blahblahblahblah and get things back to how i use to do it.
Hopefully one of these things im doing will help me out of this situation (which i may of caused myself before i get flamed to death)

Oh definitely caused by chlorine/ metals stressing the fish.
Some white spot meds don't work if dechlor is used....

Ordered a big container of aqua safe as it will work out cheaper, got 5 litres for £31, seemed a good buy to me, only lost 2 fish today (i know its 2 more than i should lose) but its a step in the right direction, one more days treatment then i can start doing some more frequent water changes with aqua safe in it :)

Back