• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Normal filter output V spraybar

I am running a 140 cm (L) x 40 cm (W) x 35 cm (H) tank that is visible from three sides (two long sides, one long side) as per below drawing (green line shows visible part)

CO2 is injected with inline UP diffuser into the filter and the CO2 enriched water is returned to the tank.
The filter I am using is Sera 250, rated at 750 l/h, which is much less than the 10 x rule... Therefore, I am using a power head to enhance circulation.

Dotted lines show a rough idea of the current and new flow.
Power head is rated at 800GPH

2ijok69.png

I have been thinking about using a spray bar instead of the normal output and I am wondering if its worth the trouble doing this. I can install the spray bar only at one side of the tank (restricted to having filter input and output at same side of tank)

Thoughts & recommendations welcome!

I suppose it boils down to the geography of your scape...obstructions to flow etc...without knowing its configuration it's hard to give sensible advice.

Depending on your planting plans I don't think it'd matter that much, but there is no harm in trying out new ideas either way...other than the potentially more diffuse flow you'd get from a spray bar might not penetrate in to the far corners of the tank so well...I guess.

In my eyes getting good circulation in large/odd-shaped tanks is hard. In this tank i would go with a large spraybar over the entire length. If you don't want to i would consider not getting one big,but 3-4 of the smallest circulation pumps and put those all under each other in the front right corner and have them all in the same direction. Most circulation pums tend to give a small "hard" jet, while you need a soft large jet to get a good circulation. Just my 2 €cts. (source: trying to get good flow in a 200x100 cm tank)

Maybe a Maxspect Gyre would do the job?
P
:) nice but $$$

In this tank i would go with a large spraybar over the entire length.
For a first, I would like to avoid that. Also my filter is way too weak for this. I can change the filter though for a more powerful one for less than the cost of the Gyre thing and hook up a spraybar at the length of the tank... :rolleyes: or install an underwater pump and direct its output in a spraybar either short side or long side. Whichever is the most $effective and less intrusive.

Really want to hack circulation issue.

If you do not come close to adhering to the 10X rule then the spraybar will not be much of an advantage. Suggest filter upgrade or supplemental pumps.

Cheers,

If you do not come close to adhering to the 10X rule then the spraybar will not be much of an advantage. Suggest filter upgrade or supplemental pumps.
Cheers,
Hi ceg4048,

I am already using a power head in my current configuration as per opening post, that sits next to the filter output facing the same direction, to supplement the flow.

I was thinking about dropping some wood chips in front of the power head / filter output to get a visual of the circulation as two of my favorite people have done in one of their shows (sorry for the poor quality had to strip it off a you tube video).
Their experiment involves a circular tank with current created from a small outboard motor and they added wood chips to get a visual of the flow. More here
This will be messy though...

2h7p5qr.jpg

Will be looking to get some transparent acrylic for a spray bar as well and see how it goes.

I Tried working off the side in my large tank and the setup ended poorly.
For example I had two filters with the heads at the corners, and 2 water jets pushing the flow around, and a pump with a reactor. the result was melted plants in dense corners etc.
I Now use one filter with a spray bar that runs the complete length of my tank, and the co2 is injected through my filter intake.The result is amazing! I have a good roll of the front glass the reach's the bottom of all my plants.

Found 2 filters at about same price.

My inline atomizer and inline heater work with 16/22 mm tubing. Tank is 180L.

Filter A

16/22 hoses with flow of 1400l/h. Also comes with uv

Filter B
Hoses are wider (23/?) and I will need to reduce size to connect atomizer and heater. But flow is 2000l/h. No UV

So... which way to go? o_O

Thanx!

I did type "filter B without a shadow of doubt "

But then thinking about reducers and having inline items I think your still going to be finding dead spots IMO

If it was me....I'd get a mega filter, fx5 jobbie.
Another option, how about two filters either end with jet output creating a swirl effect? One end have the outflow facing the inflow at the opposite end of the tank and visa versa?

Someone else may want to cut my neck for suggesting this as maybe I should know better....BUT hear me out,
One decent filter hitting 10x rule such as option B
Then 2 small circulation pumps tucked rather low and in the corners of the tank, pushing water through the dense planting area from behind back into the centre of the tank say 2-3 inches from substrate?

But then thinking about reducers and having inline items I think your still going to be finding dead spots IMO
Hi thanks.

Even if running a spraybar on long side?
I am already running a power head next to output. I can see plants move in the current but hope that a spray bar will achieve optimal circulation and co2 distribution.

Sure if you have a spray bar going longways your going to distribute co2 and ferts like a champ, sorry I must of skipped the part where you mention the spray bar going longways haha.

The reducers and items will slow flow, however I thhhhhhiiiiiiiiink you'll still hit the 10x rule, win the plus side of spray at too.

Are you making a clear one your self? The eheim ones are bit manky looking IMO

No worries mate thanks for your input. Anyone with experience using a lower diameter filter hose than the intended hose?

(Much) Easier said than done.
Here's my DIY spraybar, 120 long, with 3mm holes drilled on a clear tube, hooked up on my new 2000L/H filter :)

2ibloud.jpg

Let's wait for the results of this investment!

Back