• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Below and beyond - 120 x 32 x 22 (84 l)

UllavL

I’ve spent the last year drooling over shallow open tanks where hardscape and plants breaks the water surface. I love the extra dimensions it gives the layout. Also, I’m not allowed to have another big aquarium (over 100 l), but with a shallow open tank I can scape both below and under the waterline creating a feeling of a bigger tank without breaking any “no more than 100 l”-promises :)

Just starting to try out some hardscapes. The tank’s dimensions are 120 x 32 x 22.

The stones are from a lake nearby, the branches is apple. Not sure if I should use the wood since it’s only been six months since I cut it from the tree. The tape you see on the wall marks the surface of the aquarium. Bear in mind that the hardscape will be raised rather a lot when the substrate is added (and that some stones will be placed better when I can support them with substrate).

In the first 3 pictures I’m thinking that the plants will be focused to the right corner which will be raised with substrate. Then I’ll have some kind of carpet plant spreading out from the stones towards the front and the left corner. Only difference between the pictures are the positioning of branches (which is far from perfect, I’ll have to cut them a bit but want to decide scape first).

XVYqQd.jpg

qxm3vM.jpg

oSmq6n.jpg

The other hardscape I’m trying out is just with the stones. Here the plants will be centred to the stone formation with carpeting plants spreading out from it.

O1FStt.jpg

Thoughts? I’m a beginner when it comes to any serious aquascaping so I would really appreciate your critique!!! :)

/ulla

I really like the first scape, love the wood, really suits shallow, open tanks. I wouldn't worry too much about the dryness of the wood, it's a hard wood by nature, so should be alright after six months. I would advise soaking it (how contradictory!) and/ or boiling it for a bit, but as you might have seen from the masters of this genre (Big Tom and Alastair), you can also just give it a powerwash and just chuck it in, as in nature!
Will be watching this one, love the shallow tanks, just don't have the space for one myself. :(

To be honest I'm not a big fan of the wood. But I like the rocks, the main stone is beautiful! I think you shouldn't try to make a "mountain" with them as the last picture, but use their natural beauty of what they are: river rocks. I like the placement in the first picture of the biggest rock. How does it look if you place the 3th biggest rock on the left where you have this smaller rock now? Just keep trying configurations until it makes you say: wow I love it!

All above is obviously just my opinion, scape something you like, you have to live with it ;)

Thank you both! I really like the rocks as well. If I don't use the wood, I think I have to find a scape where some of the rocks break the waterline. I don't just want the plants to do that. Regarding the wood I've had a vague idea of a shore with tree roots growing below the waterline, but I don't feel I'm totaly there yet. Don't feel I have to use the wood, but I gave myself a deep scare carving off all bark so I have much blood invested in them :)

Skickas från min iPad via Tapatalk

Just to clearify. I really love the concept of wood/roots sticking out of the water, I just don't think this particular piece of wood complements the rocks very well. But maybe it's just the color of it that's offsetting. I don't know how it will look when wet.

I personally don't like 3 & 4, but in 1 & 2 I can see the look you're going for. Which I like :thumbup:

The rocks nice too, do you know what it is?

To me the rock work looks a bit flat and I'd build it up a bit more if you know what I mean? Higher in the corner so it will slope down more towards the front left and merge into the carpet you want. I'd basically draw a line from the back top right to the front bottom left.

I think the best rock work I've seen on here off the top of my head is by @Troi , he's in a way better place to give you rock advice anyway so hopefully he'll come along :D

Have you had a look at manzanita wood? I know your wood has probably got sentimental value now, after nearly losing a limb, but if I'm on the right track would be perfect.

Hi,
very nice tank! I love this format tanks.;)
But it's not very easy...
Most of the material are more adapted/designed for more normal tanks, so be prepared.
Nice choice of wood and stone. The wood it's difficult to put in that layout, my advice is cut in 3 pieces... :angelic: put in water, it will take a while to stop float.
I prefer the first rock composition (from the last post). Maybe some sand...
What plants? I'll follow this post, very curious.
The tank will definitely put a very special touch in that space! :)
Good work,
cheers

Another question. I've started a thread on filtration and what external filter I should get. I want one with an inbuilt heater. I've realized I only got room for an Eheim 350T (1050l/h) in the cabinet. Since the aquarium is so long, will this be enough for circulation? Is the best alternative to buy a small circulation pump or should I by another external filter?
(the other thread can be found here)

Now that's a good hardscape! Its really developed nicely. My only concern is that their isn't much space for plants. Maybe if you replaced the sand in the left half with carpeted substrate, leaving the sand where it comes out of the cave?

Back