• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What in your opinion is the best tip to succeed

Frenchi

Hi
What in your opinion is the best tip to succeed in a planted aquarium? When I say the best tip I mean let's say get the co2 flow right the rest will follow or schedule water changes ? I'm just wondering if there is a key to begin with

Cheers
Mick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The key to begin with is planning really. That basically covers everything including patience and research. A lot of people start the tank off before they have everything they need and then tinker through it's first month(s)

So plan everything you need, equipment and plants, patience until you have everything ready then set it up as you mean it to stay.

Sounds logical.. It seems like a huge £ layout to begin with but I suppose in the long run it will workout cheaper .. I personally have waisted lots of £ by building up tinkering and still do :)

Start with a small tank of say 60 - 90l, don't add any fish and have a big bottle of gas!
I must admit it made a massive difference to me when cranked the co2 to its boundaries..

Follow the golden rules! (for A high tech)
Good light spread not really too strong 8hrs or so ,good turnover rate make sure your flow reaches the bottom(trim plants to allow for this),use dirt if possible makes up for lack of nutrients,at least 1 bubble per second co2 injection followed with 50% water changes weekly to expel proteins,and lastly you need minerals (daily ei works for me) .
Most of all when somethings fails find out why, and try again.

Follow the golden rules! (for A high tech)
Good light spread not really too strong 8hrs or so ,good turnover rate make sure your flow reaches the bottom(trim plants to allow for this),use dirt if possible makes up for lack of nutrients,at least 1 bubble per second co2 injection followed with 50% water changes weekly to expel proteins,and lastly you need minerals (daily ei works for me) .
Most of all when somethings fails find out why, and try again.
Great bit of advice:)

Interesting question...it's not till it's asked that you stop and think about it...
Short answer...persistence.
Long answer...the curiosity and patience to gain experience through experimentation and to learn from your own mistakes/successes. Plus attention to detail and a large dose of creativity...in short all the things you need to be a half decent scientist.
For me that's why this hobby can be so absorbing it draws on so many different skills, talents and disciplines...and what makes it so special is that it can be enjoyed no matter what stage along the journey you're at...being part of a very supportive community also helps:D

That or...'a big bottle of gas!'...to quote foxfish.
Yes I carnt believe the difference it makes by getting the gas right .. I suppose it's a scary thing when your new to plants . I remember before I started messing with the plant side of things all I thought about was water quality for the fish which soon became so easy Infact I never ever used test kits as there was never any need.. I still don't but now all I think about is the water quality for the plants .. Keeping the fish in mind of course :) .. Mad how things change !!

My best tip? Find plants and setups that suits your need and experience. Right now my life style does not suit a high tech setup due to cash and uni, I simply don't have the time to manage a high tech tank. If I was to choose to go down that route I am sure that I will fail. On the other hand, a low tech setup with undemanding plants like Anubias and Java Fern, I can get away with less frequent water changes and pruning while still being able to appreciate the planted aquarium. I find that a lot of people who turn away from the planted side of things due to the fact that they start off tackling plants and setups which do not suit the life style or experience leading algae and eventually deteriorating plant growth. This can really be off putting, if they started with simple low tech setups, they could gradually build up knowledge and confidence before moving on. You can usually spot mistakes in low tech setups and then fix it easier than high techs because things happen much slower.

Last edited:
Aside from reading, patience and persistence I think my main tip would be water changes and maintenance... Every day if you can.
It gives you a far wider margin of error when you don't get it quite right.... Which is often!

Aside from reading, patience and persistence I think my main tip would be water changes and maintenance... Every day if you can.
It gives you a far wider margin of error when you don't get it quite right.... Which is often!

What percentage of water would you change daily.. ? Would this work with EI dosing just the same ?
Cheers

Back