• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mushrooms

nybraby

So had some very excited kids today as my driftwood has sprouted some mushrooms. Never saw them this excited over my tank before.

Is this normal or did I do something wrong ?
08db9c3a44954c868621f8d76e591971.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt you have done something wrong, it's likely that the wood had some spores prior to being added into the tank.The moisture from the aquarium would have likely created a nice environment on the top of the driftwood for the spore to develop into mushrooms. Manual removal and a spray of hydrogen peroxide should get rid of them if you want to.

Thats just awsome. I think some great aquascapers are going to be inspired by your case. We might start seing mushrooms in many tanks soon. Congrats!

I like them so will keep them was wondering what to grow from the top of the wood my tank delivered it naturally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way!! Haha really like that. Wonder how long they will last.

Hi nybraby,

That's cool, I've only ever had Auricularia sp. before, Those are only the fruiting bodies, and after a few days they'll go squishy and fall over. The main mycelium lives within the wood slowly breaking it down, how long that takes I'm finding out with Auricularia but the woods only been in the tank a month (it is an unplanned experiment!).

mmm..
you can buy oyster and shiitaki mushroom impregnated logs; I wonder if one could be stood in a shallow aquarium...?
phil

Back