• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ohko Ocean, now 'Peaks'

Just had another look...for what it's worth I'd take the little peak in the wave trough at the back out, I think it interferes with the scapes flow and it's not needed to create tension - there's plenty there already...but just my opinion.

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone.

Those rocks at the top of the curve on the left, are they just balanced:eek: or have you fixed them with something to keep them in place. Just a word of advice if I may, when you start filling this up watch out for soil slippage as you are doing it and be on standby to catch any rocks that move or fall, the tank is lovely and I would hate to see it get scratched or damaged. One tip before filling it up, give all the soil a really good spraying until it is soaked which should stop most of it floating to the surface and causing the rocks to slip. Steve;)

Ah, you're right. Thanks. I'll be careful. All the rocks are just balanced.

Wonderful hardscape! Just not sure if you have thought about maintaining it - scrubbing the stones etc.... especially the top left stones if not properly fixed, will be pain to clean and as they are closest to the light, I presume will be the ones that will need most attention.

To begin with I think I'll cheat. i.e. no livestock and regular draining and spaying with 50% h2o2. Turn bga red in seconds. I've soaked ohko in 50% (out of the tank), cleaned it off, then put it in a crs tank with no casualties. So down the track I might get some embers are neons.

Just had another look...for what it's worth I'd take the little peak in the wave trough at the back out, I think it interferes with the scapes flow and it's not needed to create tension - there's plenty there already...but just my opinion.

Yeah, someone on another forum said a similar thing. I think the problem is the shape is off and it's made up of too many rock fragments. I'll try to find a single rock for that spot. I want to keep it .. it's meant to be Mt Fuji. Only problem is that I've run out of biggish rocks.

Thanks rodoselada!

@Troi, I'm going to use La Plata sand. I was going to use Sarawak (because I have some left over from another scape), but it's colour is too similar to the ohko. La Plata is more pale, so it should make for a better contrast. I'll drain the tank completely when I add the sand.

Like it :cool:
Sarawak sand will look nice and more natural than la plata sand, look at some internet photos of rocks and sand in the wild, and the sand is made of the same rocks that surround it, but of course crashed.

How many kilos of rocks you have there? !!! :shifty: 20?

Thanks Robert, Tim and zgmarkozg!

You might be right about La Plata and Sarawak, I have to compare the two.

Really like the scape! After playing around with my dragon stone looking for good designs I know how hard it is to work with it and get something that looks this good!

I'm interested to know if there are any long term problems or implications of having such deep substrate in that back corner?

Very interesting layout, but the top left wave with that curve back... hmmm... I'll wait to see how it develop over time. Maybe it's too big for my taste, or too dark.

I'm interested to know if there are any long term problems or implications of having such deep substrate in that back corner?

I hope not. This is all pretty experimental. There a large stack of floor tiles back-left, so I don't think the soil and rocks will move much. I had to unscrew and remove the inlet pipe. I have to attach a shrimp guard to it, otherwise any fish/shrimp will get sucked straight into the filter.

Very interesting layout, but the top left wave with that curve back... hmmm... I'll wait to see how it develop over time. Maybe it's too big for my taste, or too dark.

I can fix the darkness with a light. I still haven't found the right position for the the light fixture to hang. As for the curve, it's funny, It occurred to me that it's too small. :)
The wave in the painting is much bigger.

BAD NEWS: We've had some hot days lately (it was 45 degrees celsius yesterday). The hc grow box got too hot and about half has turned to mush :thumbdown:

Last edited:
love it! Cant wait to see it planted :) Ive got about 50Kg of dragon stone ready to go in my 120cm at the moment. Its a very hard stone to scape with and youve pulled off an excellent job here.

Hi. What do you have in mind for all your dragon stone? 50kg in 3ft is heaps. I think i have about 15kg in 2ft.

Hi. What do you have in mind for all your dragon stone? 50kg in 3ft is heaps. I think i have about 15kg in 2ft.
I keep changing my mind! Im stuck between a scree slope, angled rock in one direction with manzi wood, dragon spires pointing in different directions and a few others. Once I get the stone and wood into the tank I'll know then :)

Its a 4 foot by the way :)

Thanks rodoselada!

@Troi, I'm going to use La Plata sand. I was going to use Sarawak (because I have some left over from another scape), but it's colour is too similar to the ohko. La Plata is more pale, so it should make for a better contrast. I'll drain the tank completely when I add the sand.

Hi Dantrasy,

When I set my tank up I had La Plata and Sarawak sand. You are right the Sarawak sand is a bit yellow, the La Plata is much whiter. So originally I mixed the two together which achieved the right effect, but now when I top up I just add the La Plata because it changes colour over time anyway.

Great job with the Hardscape, you have really set the bar high here and I can't wait to see this develop. Really looking forward to seeing it planted. Loads of light and Versicularis maybe?

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks for the advice Steve. Mixing is a great idea. I have some of each sand (but a lot more of the La Plata). Did you do 50/50?

I plan on adding the sand to the tank today.

Back