• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Most aesthetic way to drill holes in a cabinet for filter pipes? TMC Signature

Julian

My new TMC 600 Signature turned up today, cabinet and all.

I have a very small problem as I don't know what to do about the filter pipes. Theres an opening at the back of the cabinet for them to go through which would be fine if I was mounting the inlet/outlet on the back, but I plan on having them on the side of the tank and I don't want to have to make the pipes bend. I'd rather drill some holes and have them coming out of the side if that makes sense:

yvRhEpd.jpg

I know I'm being very pedantic, but I'm sure there are others just like me and want their tank looking the best it can. I'd like it to look as neat as possible, even if it means buying a desk grommet or something similar to make things look tidy.

I was thinking I could cut some vertical lines ND aquatics style but I'm concious this would make the cabinet even less sound proof than it already is, it's in my bedroom and my filter isn't the quietest.

Has anyone modified their cabinet in this way or could they recommend a way to achieve the best results?

Thanks in advance.

Make sure before you start something like this that you have the right tools... I cannot tell you how long it took or how much my arm hurts. Happy with the result though.

af872aed250d1434cf8fef5f8ee4de8d.jpg

Julian. Wow... Its gonna be soar for a couple of days by the looks of it. And then hole number two? :p looks great tho!

I think I got them from eBay a while ago, totally forgot I had them. You can get them off Amazon as well, just search for "desk grommet".

Looks great!All little bottles with labels up? Little pedantic heh ;)

I like the holes being different from your usual round ones very nice set up.

Julian, looks great, elegant solution for the side, convincing me to do the same, watch the heater, I'd try and get more vertical than that.

Where did you get the magnetic strip for the door and the metal tray, really like that idea.
Ikea, just search the site for "magnet" and it will come up. Its quite handy, although make sure your tools are magnetic. Turns out my tweezers do not stick!

Back