• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eleocharis Parvula - blades under substrate

I can see new growth under the substrate, next to rear glass.
Is this because of the glass (photo-tropism) or is it normal to assume that similar things happen throughout the substrate - not only on areas adjacent to the glass? I am about to start digging o_O

Could this have been avoided if I planted closer to the surface? I am doing EI but on planting day [16/11, ~2 months ago] I added root tabs in the substrate.

2cpx5i8.jpg

1zwmbzc.jpg

It´s just like that. Don´t worry. Happens the same to me no matter how i plant them.

This is perfectly normal mate. Its happens everywhere in the tank. I dont think you want to avoid this nor is there a need to.

Christos, are you telling that you planted 2 months ago and it's growing only near the glass?
That's not normal.

At the end of one week you should see that kind of growing. In two months a carpet should be almost done.
All depends on the light and CO2. Are they present in good values?

Pedro.

Also: If you didn´t separate the substrate with something in it you´ll see the Eleocharis apearing everywhere. ;)
That´s why in my last set up i divide the substrate with some plastic bars beneith.

I notice some ciano on that glass.. pay attention to it.
Thanks. Isn't that diatoms? Maybe you are seeing pieces of Moss that detached? :oops: Advisable actions other than mechanical removal?

Christos, are you telling that you planted 2 months ago and it's growing only near the glass?
That's not normal.
Tell that to the grass!:)
I know its frustrating... I am running 3x32w cfl in pedant reflectors (changef from 23w cfls recently). Also, uust recently (1week ago) replaced a 700lph with a 2000lph filter and installed spraybar at length of tank for circulation. CO2 via up atomiser tank is 180L. Substrate is clay kitty litter. Visually looks greener, weeping moss seems happier and is fresh green everywhere. Carpet is far from done though...

Also: If you didn´t separate the substrate with something in it you´ll see the Eleocharis apearing everywhere. ;)
I did too divide substrate... I hope I soon have a good reason for doing that!

So... 1 month after I got some new growth. Running a spraybar on length of tank. Runners insist on growing about 10cm long under substrate.

Yesterday I cut and replant quite a few. Today a few have uprooted.

Since I dose EI, co2 concentration is higher at substrate surface, uprooted plants are closer to light and also half exposed to air (400ppm co2) I am starting to think I should not replant as conditions on water level seem better...

Ideas? :rolleyes:

I have to ask if any of you people can share pictures of carpet dh on molar clay, preferably the Tesco cat litter.

Please specify if you somehow enriched substrate or worked with EI alone.

Also about uprooting. How often did you replant? Because for me its daily.

This is an example of the runners I get. I cut and replant
o57qyd.jpg

Back