• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andys HC propagator step by step

Can I use an old tank as a propagator? A few cm of water in an old tank with containers to accommodate the plants and then cover with clean film.

I did this before but the plants melted the next day, however, I believe this was due to exposure to direct strong sunlight for an hour or so....could that have been the reason for the plants melting?

Yes you can, a piece of glass works better than cling film as you get much more condensation dripping down & you can vent the tank if necessary.
Plants straight out of a water filled tank wont always take, plants that have been grown out of water don't have to adapt & are generally fine.
Just keep the soil wet, don't have sitting water.

Hi
Hey Andy just wondering when you have grown it in the propagator how do you transfer to aquarium or nano cube

Hi All,

I assume it is ok to use a desk lamp to provide the light to a propergator? I can put mine on a window ledge, however it doesn't get too much light?

Thanks in advance

Ross

Yes, but - you can use a lot of light without problems, the best growth for me is during the summer when there is often 18 hours of natural light.
The only time I have had issues was during the winter using a weak LED deck lamp, quite a bit of mould appeared but when I switched to a much more powerful light, the fungus disappeared & the plants shot up.
I have a small set up on my south facing window sill at the moment with a 9w LED, things are growing but slowly....

Yes, but - you can use a lot of light without problems, the best growth for me is during the summer when there is often 18 hours of natural light.
The only time I have had issues was during the winter using a weak LED deck lamp, quite a bit of mould appeared but when I switched to a much more powerful light, the fungus disappeared & the plants shot up.
I have a small set up on my south facing window sill at the moment with a 9w LED, things are growing but slowly....
I agree with Foxfish, nothing like the summer for my propagator that is in the terrace the whole year. Now in winter when I want to grow something in particular I just use my imagination...

05e746319aaf953e0bda70c31a51174f.jpg

7117aa0b72f49044731baf7da580cc90.jpg

No need to spend more energy, there's plenty of light diffused out of your tank

Jordi

Thanks guys!

I've got a desk lamp with a 50w GU10 bulb that i will use. I'm trying to get some plant cultivated for a dry start tank i want to start in Feb. Unfortunately she who must be obeyed wouldn't like your idea Jordi, however it is a great idea!

Cheers

Ross

the amania bonsai flowered and died unfortunately:( but just in time to have a go with some rotala wallichi:)
not really a journal. I just wanted to inspire and show people what can be done. with a little experimenting with different species.
have you found the show us your propagator thread yet its kind of a follow on from this one

the amania bonsai flowered and died unfortunately:( but just in time to have a go with some rotala wallichi:)
not really a journal. I just wanted to inspire and show people what can be done. with a little experimenting with different species.
have you found the show us your propagator thread yet its kind of a follow on from this one

Hi Andy, Still playing catch up. Post a link please. This is inspiring me to do more :cool:

Great growth, just shows how easy it can be doesn't it, I have two small take away containers sitting outside filled with HC, it was more of a 'Can I' project, but it's going well so once it's at a stage I like, I'll end up using it elsewhere.

Mine are still going Andy!
On the window sill in 20cm glass Do Aqua! cube....which has a perspex lid!
No artificial light! The Monte Carlo looks a tad ropey shall remove that next week or cut it right back!
Cheers
hoggie

Back