• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

FishBit Aquarium Monitor

Did you check out the seneye reef or reef angel I mentioned? >Seneye link<
Yeah not a fan of those ;) will have to wait and see how this one develops in future, more designed to reef, I like automation (lazy).

I wonder if putting the probes in a case like that effects its ability to read the water parameters correctly. It looks spretty closed up with only a few holes!!

Once mine is built i might pay for a proper circuit board to be created. I aso need someone with a 3D printer as i might design a case for it all!

At the risk of sounding negative, I'm not sure I'm seeing anything "new" here. Similar products already exist in the marine space, although high cost is usually the factor that limits their mass adoption. I believe there's even an arduino based version for the budget tinkerer called jarduino.

Hi GlassWalker,

There are loads, however for me it was a project to learn the coding as i need to know PHP for work projects and i learn better if it intrests me! Also i can get it to do what i want, for example mine will be able to notify you if the PH hasn't dropped by a, or to a certain value by a certain time. So it will tell me if i haven't got a PH drop of 1 by the time the lights turn on.

None of the ones on the market can do things like that which is why i thought i'd give it a go!

Hi JPC,

Purely as i was wanting to attempt other projects that are suited to the Pi for example running XBMC on it, although it isn't good enough for full rip Blu-rays! Also the Pi runs the SQL database and the webserver and this is better suited to a Pi rather than the Ardunio boards because of the processing power. The Pi is much better for running applications. If i was to run relays to control dosing pumps for example i would look at the Ardunio boards. I have seen people who use both together and this might be something i will look into as i do somethimes forget to dose my EI ferts!!

Thanks

Ross

Would be nice for those that are doing a DIY controller project to document it with a journal on the DIY section, with coding, parts, where to buy them, etc.. for others that are interested to be able to do the same.

I have a Pi gathering dust that could be put to good use.

Here's Atlas Scientific, they do a whole range of sensing for RaspberryPi or Arduino, they also have a debugger module that has a USB port so you can connect to a PC and log the data, they also have software for a nice page to display the data.

Personally I've thought about using the pH probe to do CO2 sensing by doing the 4dKH water membrane hack and mod the software (if possible) to give the read outs for co2 instead of pH.

There's also Plot.ly to get graphed sensor data over the net using Atlas Scientific modules, here's the Instructable for doing it with a RaspberryPi.

Starting to see a lot of really cool stuff out there for tinkering with!

:)

I've just started to document how i have created my monitoring system I'll create a thread in the DIY section. Fortunately i documented most of the build process but i need to run thorugh it from scratch to ensure the documentation is correct. I'll try and get the first part up over the weekend.

[quote="

I had to learn python and php but i did have a basic knowledge of using SQL and ASP.

Happy to help if i can![/quote] I'm lost on this thread, I know what a python is.:D

I'm lost on this thread, I know what a python is.
Hence why an out of the box solution is the ideal ;) only issue is most out of the box solutions don't do everything you want or the way you want to do it ;)

Once you have a PH probe in the tank, it shouldn't be too hard to make it a PH Controller to control CO2 flow, double that with an auto doser, an automatic water changer, temp/cooling monitor/controller, light controller even program to dim the lights etc... the possibilities are endeless, the only problem I see with these system is how ugly the whole thing looks after a while with cables everywhere!! :bored:

Hi all, i haven't forgotten about this. I have made a couple of improvements to it. I also need to go through the install process that i am documenting so I'm happy that when i post the procedure if anyone wants to follow it should work as expected.

Back